View Single Post
Old 05-06-2010, 12:08 AM   #93 (permalink)
Christ
Moderate your Moderation.

Pasta - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDi
90 day: 45.22 mpg (US)
The Honda's "main relay" is the fuel/ECM controller. I bypassed it entirely on my Civic, but I don't remember how I did it. (Was supposed to be a 5 minute fix, but ended up permanent).

Basically, it's a relay that controls a relay that controls the ECM. The first one (that turns on the second one) also turns on the fuel pump... or vice versa. It's a very stupid design, with no fail-safe built in. Those things fail alot, especially if it's the original one (and it probably is). Luckily, they can usually be fixed by opening up the relay box and doing something you're familiar with - soldering. Just re-wet the solder joints, and add more where necessary. The problem is dry solder joints, and nothing more. (It's a relay... what can really fail?)

The oil check valve shouldn't have made smoke come out of the exhaust at all... That "restrictor" just makes it less likely that you're going to run with dry bearings. Think about pushing 30 weight oil through a hole the size of a pencil lead, versus a hole the size of a cigarette... which one do you think the oil will go through easier? The idea is that the restrictor allows the engine to build enough oil pressure to flow oil through the bearings and still flows enough volume to keep the top end lubricated. Remember, the bottom end is under alot more stress than the top. It maintains under violent reciprocation, extreme pressures, and has to spin twice as fast as the top end does.