View Single Post
Old 05-06-2010, 06:41 PM   #22 (permalink)
MetroMPG
Batman Junior

Blackfly - '98 Geo Metro
Team Metro
Last 3: 70.09 mpg (US)

MPGiata - '90 Mazda Miata
90 day: 52.71 mpg (US)

Even Fancier Metro - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage top spec
90 day: 70.75 mpg (US)

Appliance car - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage ES (base)
90 day: 60.16 mpg (US)
Thanked 6,957 Times in 3,602 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcb View Post
I'm 100% certain you have thought of this, but have you considered something a little more "outboard" like?
I have thought of it, but the thing I like most about the inboard is ... not having to fiddle with an outboard. No question the boat is slightly slower under sail with the Sail Drive always being dragged through the water. But it's also very nice to be able to simply turn a key, move a lever and go. It also makes the boat more user friendly for non-boaty people who might need to drive it (when I fall off).

Quote:
shave that wart off the bottom of the hull and smooth patch it
I'd only take that route if the ICE were trashed. It's still serviceable, so I want this mod to be optionally reversible. (My current 3 year plan calls for selling this boat.)

Quote:
maybe a rack of trolling motors, linked together?
That calls up an AWESOME mental picture! I'm reluctant to fiddle with a single outboard given an inboard option, but I have to say the nerd in me finds something appealing in the idea of fiddling with a rack of trolling e-motors. Buuuuuut, no.

Quote:
getting the props out of the water alltogether under sail might actually make for an improved sailing experience.
I don't really worry much about this boat's sailing characteristics. It's basically a water Winnebago. Recreational vehicle only - I don't race it. (Race on other people's boats.)
Ecodriving test: Manual vs. automatic transmission MPG showdown

EcoModder
has launched a forum for the efficient new Mitsubishi Mirage
www.MetroMPG.com - fuel efficiency info for Geo Metro owners
www.ForkenSwift.com - electric car conversion on a beer budget