View Single Post
Old 05-06-2010, 08:47 PM   #44 (permalink)
The Toecutter
Master EcoModder

Rebellion - '16 KMX Framekit Custom electric velomobile
Damn... I had posted a topic on the evalbum entry without seeing this thread.

This car is extremely impressive, *especially* for the cost. I had thought of using a large truck, aeromodded like Phil Knox's T100, with 2,500 lbs of Trojan batteries in the back to get 200 miles range at 70 mph, but that would never come close to being this cheap... I had discounted altogether the idea of using a small car for such a thing because of the need for structural enhancements to handle the weight.

I wonder what structural mods Dave did to this to handle the weight? I am completely awed by this conversion. $3,000 is a good price... and if he sold these bodies as a kit, I'd be a buyer of one.

The top speed makes sense, given that it is a 72V conversion with no tranny. Up that to a 348V LiFePO4 pack and a Zilla 1k EHV, and see what she does... *drool*

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcb View Post
I gotta say, there is nothing wrong with a 3200lb curb weight when you get:
200 mile range
72 mph top speed
$3000 conversion cost!!!

It's almost hard to believe.
It's not hard to believed. do some number crunching and you will see how and why this car performs like it does. It is amazing, but the claims are 100% feasible. Dave just happened to actually build something that can do it.

I think he will set a record with this car as soon as he gets the chance. Imagine if he had $30,000 to dump into a battery pack... The current world record with the Solectria Sunrise will have been tripled if that ever happens.