View Single Post
Old 05-22-2010, 06:05 PM   #5 (permalink)
brucepick
OCD Master EcoModder

Outasight - '00 Honda Insight
Team Honda
Gen-1 Insights
90 day: 54.18 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Tele man View Post
...BEFORE you cut into anything, did you consult the factory schematic to see what the "color-code" is for the wire(s) you're after?

...and, here's a "tip"--instead of cutting thru any insulation, simply solder the wire to a hefty straight pin and simply stick the pin thru the insulation and tightly wrap the area with electrical tape (about ½-inch on either side).

*** DO NOT stick the pin thru the wire from top to bottom; rather, slide the pin under the insulation like the nurses do the needles when you give blood.
I DO like the straight pin method - thanks for that. But I'm pretty sure it's not what I need for this. I need to cut the 12V line en route to the injectors, not tap into it.

I consulted the Haynes diagram. Shows the wire as yellow/black, which is what I do find at the injectors as +12V (constant when ign is "on"). Diagram shows a connector before the injectors where the single 12V wire from relay is split 5 ways: the 4 injectors and also one to the idle air control.

I do need to cut that wire back where it is one, not where it's a separate wire for each injector. I'll switch the severed wire at a good quality relay that's normally "on". When I send 12V to relay coil from a dash switch the relay will open the connection until I flip the dash switch back.

Come on, somebody must have wired up a good fuel cut switch for a Civic??