View Single Post
Old 05-26-2010, 12:31 PM   #6 (permalink)
wagonman76
Master EcoModder

Red Car - '89 Chevrolet Celebrity CL 4 door
Team Chevy
90 day: 36.47 mpg (US)

Winter Wagon - '89 Pontiac 6000 LE Wagon
90 day: 28.26 mpg (US)
My Celebrity has done the exact same thing since I bought it 7 years ago. Not as severe as yours, it only does it when the engine is stone cold and for the first 1/4 to 1/2 mile. Changing fuel tank/pump/filter didn't make a difference. Multiple spark plug/wire changes, crank sensor/ignition module replacement no difference. O2 sensor no difference. Alternator made no difference. Swap from 2.8 to 3.1 engine made no difference. Never any codes either. A coworker hooked it up to a realtime scanner and the good "128" number was about where it ran. I wasn't going to throw dollars at it trying to solve it (everything I replaced needed replacing anyway, and the 2.8 engine lost a head gasket when the radiator let out), so I just got used to dealing with it and it's just second nature now. But it never went away. All I can figure is it must be some sensor, or maybe even the ECM. I've got a hunch it might be the IAC, but unless I stumble across a free spare, I won't worry about it.

Edit: That reminds me, multiple bottles of Chevron Techron, plus this redline stuff. Also seafoam, and GM Top Engine Cleaner. Also changed the injectors with a newer used set. Tried a different TPS too once.

Would be nice to know what it is if you ever figure it out.

Winter daily driver, parked most days right now

Summer daily driver

Last edited by wagonman76; 05-26-2010 at 07:46 PM..