Thread: Truckers
View Single Post
Old 04-03-2008, 11:37 PM   #9 (permalink)
RH77
Depends on the Day

Teggy - '98 Acura Integra LS
Sports Cars
90 day: 32.74 mpg (US)

IMA - '10 Honda Insight EX
Team Honda
90 day: 34.76 mpg (US)

Tessie - '06 Acura TSX Base
90 day: 28.2 mpg (US)
Truckers

Well, Truckers tend to add-on things that reduce Cd:

Chrome air cleaners, 4" stacks, lighting accessories. Older, less aerodynamic designs like the Peterbilt classics are popular, but the "hanging fruit" is excessive "but manly "

Super-aero looking designs won't nearly be accepted by the trucking community let alone the car-driving public.

But the new Kenworth T660 looks promising:

Product Brochure. I think the aero mods look pretty cool.

Trailers -- well, first -- a fairing is a good first step: something adjustable, since the rear axle set often requires fore-aft movement for proper load distribution:

Next, the whole rig can save rolling resistance with single instead of dual wheelsets:

Green Car Congress Says...
Quote:
Replacing the standard two thinner tires per wheel with a single wide-base tire improves the fuel efficiency of heavy-duty tractor-trailer trucks and allows them to be made to run with more stability, according to studies by Oak Ridge National Laboratory (ORNL).
A lot can be done -- but money is super-tight with the independents right now. Large firms may be able to pull it off if they commit to it. Wal-Mart (shiver) is at the forefront of their fleet saving diesel -- bottom line stuff, IMO.

RH77

EDIT: I agree Andrew, rail is by far the most efficient. My Pops is a retired Railroad Engineer, so that has pretty much been a standing fact in the family forever. But, the rail companies focus on monopolizing markets, and being late in the game to emissions reduction. Intermodal is a growing trend -- seems efficient and engages all forms of transport.

_
_

Last edited by RH77; 04-03-2008 at 11:45 PM.. Reason: Rail