View Single Post
Old 06-15-2010, 12:28 AM   #2 (permalink)
slowmover
Banned

2004 CTD - '04 DODGE RAM 2500 SLT
Team Cummins
90 day: 19.36 mpg (US)
Thank you, KamperBob for taking the time to start this thread to answer my off-topic questions. I was having a hard time reconciling the published weight figures with the apparent size of your 5'er. We understand that weight is but one criterion for assessing potential mpg (shape/design are reaaallly big), so my questions were more a matter of context for "Improving RV mileage" questions.

As regards curiosity as to how this thread will go, then, the next obvious (to me) question is how many it sleeps (or, "might"), and what your experience has been with more than two people over, say, a two-week period. Any "boondocking" with 2+ for that period? (Being, camping without utilities hooked to unit).

Lightweight, aero, and good road numbers are one thing, but an RV still has to meet family needs for many. That the website says "Sleeps 6" is subject to interpretation. Six fat boys probably ain't gonna be happening.

Same with gear: is there a point of time considered, or seasons, where personal gear is just going to take up too much space? (One reason I find a pickup with bed topper so handy). Granted, it isn't a rig where one takes along every sundry item, so, have at it: # persons w/gear for about how long? What would be "reasonable" given your experience thus far, and where does a permanently gear-laden pickup start to really hurt mpg?