View Single Post
Old 06-17-2010, 12:50 AM   #11 (permalink)
mwebb
Master EcoModder

no nickname , it's just a car - '04 volkswagen golf tdi
P0300 is random misfire , find it with exhaust pressure pulses

GM has misfire counters in Enhanced data, there may be misfire counts present that are not high enough to code the system
so , no Code .

you will need a scan tool with Enhanced GM software , a generic scan tool can not view misfire counters .

and - there' s more
intake vacuum at hot idle should be around 20"
and
the needle must be steady smooth with zero flutter , if there is any flutter , your new used engine has a valve sealing problem

and
if there is a local shop that has Emisfire OR AceMisfireDetective
either of those systems can pick a misfire out of the exhaust pressure pulses synced to spark or IGT on any cylinder.

they work by looking for a vacuum pulse in the pressure pulses , if a cylinder did not fire or did not fire as strong as the rest of the cylinders , when the exhaust valve opens at about 150 degrees after TDC , there will be a Lower pressure or vacuum pulse added to the exhaust pulse train .

not too expensive to connect
i charge 1 hour of labor

the upper yellow trace is exhaust pressure pulses
you can see a regular dip down , a vacuum pulse , and i have overlayed a running compression waveform (720 degrees) below in yellow also with Exhaust valve open EVO time marked by the green cursors.
sync to the pink / red trace .

the software normally picks this out for the user , i just made this screen cap so people can see what the software uses to arrive at the misfiring cylinder
Both programs Emisfire and AMD work very well

Last edited by mwebb; 08-01-2010 at 12:39 AM.. Reason: i am from ny- the image was missing ?
The Following User Says Thank You to mwebb For This Useful Post:
Backtobasics (02-02-2011)