View Single Post
Old 06-18-2010, 01:35 PM   #10 (permalink)
ChrstphrR
EcoModding Apprentice

Schwartzejetta - '00 Volkswagen Jetta TDI GL
90 day: 52.87 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daox View Post
Wooo, very nice looking grill blocks.

I'm not sure where the intercooler is on the car, but you might want to leave that one unblocked as well.
Intercooler's on the lower vent on the passenger side.

I've always left mine open, but, it probably will still pick up enough air from below. There's honestly HORRIBLE air flow for the intercooler rad on the back side, compared to the scoop up front on the MkIV Jetta/Golf platform.

lapeer20m, I've a slightly younger one than yours - a 2000 TDI.

In my few winters I've had my car, I had used coroplast to block the radiator in behind the openings. Below 40F, I had 2/3 of the radiator blocked that way with no undue problems with heat, so you certainly can block up most of the grills in winter. Summer, you may want to have it more open, and I'd recommend the bottom, since it seems more effective to leave a small opening in the bottom versus the top grill.

I found from about 75-80k miles of driving now, that it's most of the upper grill (the finned part) that can be blocked, while, for summers, the lower needs to be at least partially open for adequate cooling. You can't block ALL of the top, because the breather for the engine comes up in the upper driver's side of that top grill/opening. But most of it can be blocked up top, and a small amount down below will give you more effective cooling.

If you've still a bit more of that fibreglass surround you reused for the block off panels, I'd recommend you make another middle block, and swap that in for summer; the full block will do for the coldest parts that winters in MI can bring. Or, be prepared to unblock that middle in the field if you're driving long distances at highway speed.

Did you mount your blocks on the existing black plastic inserts, or did you mount them directly in on the valance?

P.S. The car looks nice -- I wanted black when I was hunting for mine, but silver suits me fine.