View Single Post
Old 06-20-2010, 02:49 PM   #4 (permalink)
user removed
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,024 Times in 1,304 Posts
Air can have the same pressure and be less dense.

It needs to be either hotter or dryer.

I think of my driving as fuel accounting, fewest highest load (without enrichment) combustion events that I can use to maintain the same speed. Same for acceleration and deceleration.

The injector can vary the amount of fuel delivered by something like 1500%. The best delivery percentage is about three quarters of that. Most economical engines will produce close to BSFC power at 1500 RPM with a good load and less than 4 inches of vacuum, you can't really go too far wrong.

Pulse that way and glide, engine on or off.(off being about 10% more economical).

You can do slightly better than that with better information, but the difference will not be a heck of a lot. The range will vary much greater based on your average speed, than any more precise techniques.

In my VX what you notice is the gearing is soo tall. The car will do 120 in 3rd. If you need to maintain speed up a grade in the VX you are better off in lean burn and 3rd gear than 5th gear where you would have to floor the car to maintain the grade.

From what I understand in the VX 3rd gear is very close to 5th in a DX, so in the DX you would pulse much more agressively than you would in the much taller geared VX.

regards
Mech