View Single Post
Old 06-21-2010, 05:28 PM   #19 (permalink)
aerohead
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,219 Times in 4,646 Posts
turning

Quote:
Originally Posted by miket View Post
wow thats quite an extension. How can you turn with the fairing covering the front wheels?

Do you have any pics of the undertray?

I bought Huchos book but havent had time to read it yet.

I cant use a cap that slopes down because of storgage space. Maybe an inflatable kamm back for highway speeds.
miket,the full skirt was for proof of concept.It was 'fixed' and did limit the wheels range of motion,although not much of a problem.
The 'final' skirts will attach to pantograph/hinged parallelogram mechanism which allows the tire sidewall to engage inline skate rollers attached to the mechanism,swinging it out and up to clear the 'steering' wheel,then stow flush against the fender when centered.
As to the belly,if you'll GOOGLE Phil Knox,it should get you to Jessica Savage' EV World article back in 2005.I think the bellypan photos are there.
The inflatable tail will work for you.Mine uses a 12-VDC fan from a Westfalia VW Campmobile.The fabric used on inflatable advertising would be ideal.Ripstop nylon from a fabric store will do.Seam sealer for tents to seal stitching.Do not use expandable Naughehyde,it will not hold a shape under pressure.I learned that one the hard way!
It's nice to mock up something at full-scale from which you can lay out and tailor the fabric sections.Top-stitch is good,a French seam better.
Interior lacing may be necessary to 'hold' the envelope form.You'll just have to see.
If everything is attached to an airtight shallow box,the box can be attached in any number of ways.
My prototype was made with a discarded bean-bag chair.
In HUCHO's book you should find a great inflatable design by Fachsenfeld,done for Omnibus at FKFS around 1936.