View Single Post
Old 06-23-2010, 12:37 PM   #62 (permalink)
wagonman76
Master EcoModder

Red Car - '89 Chevrolet Celebrity CL 4 door
Team Chevy
90 day: 36.47 mpg (US)

Winter Wagon - '89 Pontiac 6000 LE Wagon
90 day: 28.26 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Mechanic View Post
I am in no way any authority on this disaster, but I don't see why they did not just build a containment vessel of plastic sheeting, say 500 feet in diameter and the 5000 feet in length necessary.

Sections of a few hundred feet of a circle of 500 feet in diameter, with some re bar at the bottom and something to provide a slight amount of buoyancy at the top. Connect them as you drop them into the area of the leak.

Once you have the leak isolated then you can recover the oil at the top with pumps and barges.

Of course had that been done, then the exact amount of the leak would be known.

It seems like the priority to plug the leak was short sighted, and the cutting of the 21 inch pipe just made the outflow significantly larger.

Not sure why they just didn't try to crush the pipe to minimize the leak, and use the plastic containment vessel to capture and recover the oil.

Not sure of the currents of other reasons why this idea would not work, but I haven't heard any to this point.

regards
Mech
I had wondered from the beginning why they couldn't just do this: Put in place larger piping which means less pressure. Bring it up to the surface and start loading up oil tankers or barges or whatever and take it to where they normally take the oil. Keep them coming one right after the other. Sure you're gonna spill some in between but it's a heck of a lot better than just letting it ALL spill. Meanwhile they can work on their other more permanent solutions.

Winter daily driver, parked most days right now

Summer daily driver