View Single Post
Old 06-28-2010, 10:48 PM   #92 (permalink)
Christ
Moderate your Moderation.

Pasta - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDi
90 day: 45.22 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by some_other_dave View Post
There is no auto HF, they were all 5-speeds. The "std" or "DX" was the only CRX offered with an auto-box.

IIRC, the CRX clutch disk changed diameter at some point during the 89 model year. I don't remember if it grew or shrank slightly, but I believe you can use the smaller disk with the flywheel that used the larger disk without issues, as long as you get the spline count right for the trans input shaft and clutch disk.

I had not heard that auto axles had smaller inboard ends. I have heard that the HF axles and CVs were smaller and less sturdy than the DX and Si versions, but I haven't verified that myself.

...I'd like to hear an update on this project as well! I'm now considering one of the lean-burn motors for my Si when the D16A6 finally gives up the ghost.

-soD
You're correct about the HF thing. I knew that, but I apparently worded it incorrectly for others to see. Regardless, as far as I know, the disc diameters have always remained the same for 88-95 D-series, and even up into 2000+... the difference has always been spline count, that I was ever aware of.