View Single Post
Old 04-06-2008, 07:49 PM   #1 (permalink)
Arminius
Future EV Owner

Wannabe - '05 Honda Civic LX
90 day: 40.53 mpg (US)
Car Sales Dropping

I just read this article about car sales dropping.

http://www.carectomy.com/index.php/P...-Crash-in-2008

I also listened to an interview from someone from Edmunds. He thinks that people are holding out to buy the next wave of meta-efficient cars, and that hybrids aren't cost-worthy for the vast majority of consumers, yet. He thinks that a large portion of the population will be ready to move to more efficient cars on the next purchasing cycle. He also believes that a good portion of them are going to wait as long as they can so that newer technologies can come out and prove themselves.

Nice to see that Smart Car buyers have to stand in line 9 months to a year to get their cars, because that seems to support the theory.

I get my kicks out of talking to people about alternative vehicles like the Aptera. At first the average 40-50 year old laughs when I talk about it or show them pictures of the car. Then I talk about the advantages, like less than $200 in electricity per year, and low maintenance costs. Suddenly they start asking where they can get one! Wish I had better news for them, because when they do come out they will only be sold to people in California for a while. Perhaps I should also stop talking about alternative cars, because there will be too much competition for them when I finally get to purchase one.

Anyhow, change is in the wind. It's about time.

Last edited by Arminius; 04-07-2008 at 12:37 AM..