View Single Post
Old 07-10-2010, 02:21 AM   #14 (permalink)
iplaysdrums
Learning a lot

Tony - '15 Honda Fit EX
90 day: 40.3 mpg (US)
i had an idea a couple of days ago, and i'd be interested in any feedback. hardware stores and the like sell huge sheets of heavy-duty plastic for covering carpet and furniture. aesthetics notwithstanding, would it be substantially more helpful to cover the entire front bumper with that once it cools down outside? that would serve as an airtight grille block, while also effectively sealing all the little gaps and holes in the bumper, from the grilles, the lights, and the trim. i was thinking it would go from the very top of the bumper, where it meets the hood, covering the trim at the bottom, which i guess is a sort of chin spoiler or splitter.

now that i'm really brainstorming this, if i were to have a couple of supports in the front wheel wells, i could extend the barrier to cover the front wheels (not so much that it would be like a wheel skirt or fairing, but just an extension of the bumper. like a wide-body kit, but made from plastic film). it's been a long day, so i might just be delirious, but it seems pretty feasible to me. it seems much better than the tape idea i mentioned the other day, because it'll have no seams and i won't have to worry about adhesive on the bumper. in fact, if it's transparent enough, i can just cover the license plate with it, simplifying installation and removal that much more.

as i said before, i'm a total n00b at this, and i have very little working knowledge of fluid dynamics, with very little patience for reading textbooks. the little i do know i've learned from this site, so thanks very much to basjoos, andrewj, metrompg, cd, and all you others who've helped to educate me.