View Single Post
Old 07-14-2010, 07:04 AM   #141 (permalink)
user removed
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,024 Times in 1,304 Posts
I once saw the post mortem results on a car VS tractor trailer incident.

A Chevy Citation (what a great name for a car!) had pulled in front of a big rig and hooked the rear bumper on the front bumper of the truck.

The Chevy turned sideways and started rolling like a steam roller drum as the trucker ran over into the grass median and it took him about 250 yards to stop.

The Chevy was round by the time the truck stopped with it still right in front of the big rigs bumper. All glass was gone the driver was ejected from the car and killed.

Another time I watched in my rear view mirror as a Renault R10 pulled up beside a concrete truck with those super wide front tires. One of the front tires had a bulge in the side the size of a basket ball. I got around the truck and the Renault was right beside the truck when the tire blew. After spinning around a half a dozen times, when the R10 came to a rest the driver crawled out of the drivers door on all fours.

I think about these incidents whenever I am near a truck. A Cadillac would be flattened like the cars you see crushed going to the scrap yard.

I don't mess around with trucks. Just yesterday one passed me in heavy traffic and pulled over with less than 15 feet to spare to get on the Interstate. In my 2000 pound VX I just marked it off to stupidity and let him go. I had the urge to pull over in front of him, but the memory of that Citation from 30 years ago was still fresh enough in my mind to convince me to not try to prove anything to 30 tons of big rig.

These days I just try to get away from the tailgater. Pulse and glide will usually work, but I will find a way to get away, because they are eliminating my options if there is another potential accident source, like a deer running out in front of me, forcing me to slam on the brakes.

P&G
Just start coasting
Turn on the flashers

If they insist on turning it into an out of the car incident, they will surely regret it.

regards
Mech

Last edited by user removed; 07-14-2010 at 07:10 AM..