Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Hypermiling / EcoDriver's Ed
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-14-2010, 07:04 AM   #141 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,024 Times in 1,304 Posts
I once saw the post mortem results on a car VS tractor trailer incident.

A Chevy Citation (what a great name for a car!) had pulled in front of a big rig and hooked the rear bumper on the front bumper of the truck.

The Chevy turned sideways and started rolling like a steam roller drum as the trucker ran over into the grass median and it took him about 250 yards to stop.

The Chevy was round by the time the truck stopped with it still right in front of the big rigs bumper. All glass was gone the driver was ejected from the car and killed.

Another time I watched in my rear view mirror as a Renault R10 pulled up beside a concrete truck with those super wide front tires. One of the front tires had a bulge in the side the size of a basket ball. I got around the truck and the Renault was right beside the truck when the tire blew. After spinning around a half a dozen times, when the R10 came to a rest the driver crawled out of the drivers door on all fours.

I think about these incidents whenever I am near a truck. A Cadillac would be flattened like the cars you see crushed going to the scrap yard.

I don't mess around with trucks. Just yesterday one passed me in heavy traffic and pulled over with less than 15 feet to spare to get on the Interstate. In my 2000 pound VX I just marked it off to stupidity and let him go. I had the urge to pull over in front of him, but the memory of that Citation from 30 years ago was still fresh enough in my mind to convince me to not try to prove anything to 30 tons of big rig.

These days I just try to get away from the tailgater. Pulse and glide will usually work, but I will find a way to get away, because they are eliminating my options if there is another potential accident source, like a deer running out in front of me, forcing me to slam on the brakes.

P&G
Just start coasting
Turn on the flashers

If they insist on turning it into an out of the car incident, they will surely regret it.

regards
Mech

Last edited by user removed; 07-14-2010 at 07:10 AM..
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 07-14-2010, 01:08 PM   #142 (permalink)
The PRC.

The way I deal with extreme tailgaters depends on the situation. A simple rule for all situations is to leave a large gap in front so you have some escape room - this saved me and the GF in South Carolina one time with a MACK truck tailgated us and locked up trying to brake hard - I had room to escape into and avoid being crushed by sawn logs.

For 2 lane roads the real problem is overtaking. Modern cars are for the most part crap at it. If you are close to the car in front but have no intention of passing then leave a gap for those in a hurry to pass and pull in to. Then ease off and leave another gap for the next one, rinse and repeat. Give them a cheery wave as they pass, you will laugh at the looks you get. You are not competing against them, you have a smarter opponent - physics.

For roads with more than 2 lanes (i.e. ones with a passing lane) then lane discipline is the key. Move to the passenger side (left in the UK, or the wrong side in the rest of the world ) when you can so that you don't take up more than one lane.

The worst issue on those roads are members of CLOC (Centre Lane Owners Club) - morons who think cruising in the middle lane is the way to go. If you do this you tie up two lanes, yours and the one next to you. That frustrates a lot of other folks who have to cross 4 lanes to pass you.

This is especially true in countries where some vehicles are not allowed into the outside lane line coaches and trucks in the UK. They can't pass anyone dawdling in the middle lane as they are usually not allowed to pass on the passenger side.

If you are still tailgated then the final move is to slow down. In an auto just lift off or slip a manual out of gear. Once the moron behind is doing 30 in a 70 zone he may get the idea.

Brake testing is just stupid for reasons Old Mech has explained superbly. And although a few people around here like it I think drafting is too stupid to use - you lose that escape space in front of you, the space you control and have exclusive access to. Contraversial I know but...
Old 07-15-2010, 10:53 PM   #143 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The Red Baron - '00 Ford F-350 XLT
90 day: 27.99 mpg (US)

Impala Phase Zero - '96 Chevrolet Impala SS
90 day: 21.03 mpg (US)
I can easily outrun 18 wheelers and cement trucks.

With my pickup, I ignore everything else.

Running my huge overdrive, my engine is always on the ragged edge of smoking. A little blip of the throttle and Viola! Instant smokescreen!

There are times a CROWS turret would be nice.
Rubber Conveyor Belt Air Dam
Old 08-24-2010, 12:28 PM   #144 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

I usually just touch the brakes up enough to briefly light the brake lights but not slow the car. If they continue to tailgate, then I just lift the throttle till they pass. Sometimes a hand signal encouraging them to "back off" (open palm facing them motioning backward) or "go around" (pointing at the clear lane next to me) is helpful too.

Someone told me the following method, which I mention here for entertainment purposes only . . . the danger is far to great to actually use this.

1. Downshift so the speed you are traveling at puts the engine at peak hp.
2. Carefully watch them in your rear-view mirror and wait till they are distracted (messing with the radio, taking a drink of coffee, etc).
3. HAMMER the e-brake, while continuing to watch them in your mirror.
4. Release the e-brake and go to WOT once it's clear they won't be able to stop in time to avoid hitting you.

The best part is they'll likely blame themselves thinking they just missed you slowing down because they got distracted . . . .
Old 08-24-2010, 04:09 PM   #145 (permalink)
NightKnight

RippinRoo - '05 Subaru Legacy Wagon 2.5 GT
Subaru
90 day: 21.16 mpg (US)

Helga - '00 Volkswagen Jetta TDI
TEAM VW AUDI Group
Diesel
90 day: 53.91 mpg (US)

Olga - '03 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon
90 day: 46.24 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by samandw View Post
1. Downshift so the speed you are traveling at puts the engine at peak hp.
2. Carefully watch them in your rear-view mirror and wait till they are distracted (messing with the radio, taking a drink of coffee, etc).
3. Pick your teeth out of your own steering wheel after you rear end the guy in front of you since you were carefully watching to the guy behind you
The Following User Says Thank You to NachtRitter For This Useful Post:
ShadeTreeMech (01-01-2011)
Old 08-24-2010, 04:25 PM   #146 (permalink)
The PRC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NachtRitter View Post
3. Pick your teeth out of your own steering wheel after you rear end the guy in front of you since you were carefully watching to the guy behind you
I was thinking exactly the same thing
Old 08-24-2010, 05:22 PM   #147 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

hahah, like I said, it's a dangerous idea.
I imagine you could watch the car in front of you (if there was one) with your peripheral vision . . . but that'd take some skillz most people don't have. lol.
Old 08-24-2010, 05:35 PM   #148 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The SCUD - '15 Fiat Scudo L2
I usually touch the brake with the left foot - gotta be carefull doing that, it's NOT the clutch

If that doesn't sort it, I slow down gently until the safety distance they keep matches the speed we're doing.

I've taken this as far as a full stop with a bus in a construction zone.
Thrice in a row.

Old 08-24-2010, 06:19 PM   #149 (permalink)
Basjoos Wannabe

The Van - '97 Mercury Villager gs
90 day: 19.8 mpg (US)

Lyle the Kindly Viking - '99 Volvo V70
90 day: 25.82 mpg (US)
if they get too annoying, I suppose simply pulling over and stopping would do it.

On the van I reversed the washer nozzle to point to the rear. Can't wait to give the next tailgater a complimentary wash with Rain-X washer fluid.

Generally, slowing down to 20 under then accelerating to the limit to give yourself space will keep the honest folks from tailgating. The rest are just morons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesqf View Post
I think you missed the point I was trying to make, which is that it's not rational to do either speed or fuel economy mods for economic reasons. You do it as a form of recreation, for the fun and for the challenge.
Old 08-25-2010, 02:15 AM   #150 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Hack their ECU via their wireless tire pressure sensor and shut their car down till their out of range...

http://arstechnica.com/security/news...re-sensors.ars

Schneier on Security: Hacking Cars Through Wireless Tire-Pressure Sensors

Reply  Post New Thread