View Single Post
Old 07-15-2010, 02:02 PM   #25 (permalink)
NachtRitter
NightKnight

RippinRoo - '05 Subaru Legacy Wagon 2.5 GT
Subaru
90 day: 21.16 mpg (US)

Helga - '00 Volkswagen Jetta TDI
TEAM VW AUDI Group
Diesel
90 day: 53.91 mpg (US)

Olga - '03 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon
90 day: 46.24 mpg (US)
Piwoslaw...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piwoslaw View Post
Re verticle hinge: if the wheels turn left then the rear opens on the right side and the front on the left, am I correct? Something like the suicide doors in the Panhard Dyna Z?

Could this cause a parachute effect on one side when turning above a certain speed?
Ya, kinda like that... The idea is that at high speeds you're not going to be turning all that much anyway... and the cover should have a little bit of a lip to avoid "catching the wind" at speed.

Carlos...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfg83
This reminds me of the capads, aka a weighted floating cover, except they are extending the "cap" outside the diameter of the wheel :
Pretty cool... somewhat ironic that the wheel bearings allow the wheel to turn, and then another set of bearings are needed to keep the cover from turning... Too bad it isn't easier to mount something like that on the spindle from the outside of the wheel.

David...

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidgrey50
Do these around-the-tire skirts reduce drag by A: partly blocking the wheel-well opening or B: reducing the drag of the wheel/tire or C: both?
The goal is to allow air to flow past the entire body of the car with minimal disturbance. The covers essentially allow smooth air flow across an area that is typically very turbulent. Sooo... I guess that would be option "C"?