View Single Post
Old 07-19-2010, 03:56 PM   #16 (permalink)
JeepNmpg2
Jeep Ecomodder

Daddy's Jeep - '00 Jeep Cherokee SE
90 day: 19.66 mpg (US)

Mama's Kia - '06 Kia Sedona LX
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChazInMT View Post
Dang Dude, You work fast.

I like what you've done but my hunch is it could be improved. The length seems a tad long, you could build it shorter I think and get similar results. It looks like it may be cumbersome in the long run and foul weather, and I wonder about legalities with the covered rear lights and length.

I know Aerohed put a 3 foot (+ or-) flow collector on back of an old 67 (+ or-) VW Transporter van and improved its performance a bunch.

The shape seems to initially drop too quickly. The transition should be more subtle.

Here is my take on it.

The sides should curve in equally as well since a bunch of air is moving there too.

Also, if you're not using the roof rack, figure out a way to lose that, it can't be helping you.

Great Job!!
Thanks man. I agree that in the pictures it looks like it has a really abrupt droppoff at the end of the roofline, but I can assure you, it's not as bad a transition as the photo's make it out to be. The sides are tapered in quite a bit and the whole backend turns into a half circle shape instead of keeping the square geometry that the vehicle has (Thanks to MetroMPG for that inspiration). I'm attaching a photo of the kamm sitting vehicle side down on the ground to illustrate the side profile tapering.

As far as length goes, it's exactly 48 inches further out than my bumper. I parked next to a extended cab Ford F-150 today and my rig with kamm was two inches longer. I'm also used to pulling a trailer with the Jeep, so having a little extra on the arse isn't out there for me.

Again, thank you for the well intentioned comments, and please keep them coming.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JeepNmpg2 For This Useful Post:
aerohead (07-19-2010), landsailor (01-27-2012)