View Single Post
Old 07-21-2010, 04:28 PM   #1 (permalink)
raszpel
EcoModding Lurker

Charade - '88 Daihatsu Charade
Thumbs up 3 Wheel Electric project build

So I have decided on my first EV build to be a 3 wheeler. In California the inspections and certifications on a home build car are way to expensive for me. Plus I want just an around towner for now. So I am going with 2 wheels in the front for more stability and one in the rear. I already have an old Honda Odyssey I think that is how it is spelled. I am going to keep the front end remove what is left of the rear and differential. take of the roll bar, fuel tank, My plan is to add a second seat up and behind the driver. That way both passengers have a good view. Since it is a motorcycle it does not require a windshield. Open the back of the frame and mod in the rear including swing arm and shock set up on to the rear of the frame. I plan on powering it with a 48 volt motor either my golf cart motor or a 24/48 volt 15hp cart motor with a chain drive. My controller is a Curtis 1510-5201, with a homemade pot box.

The chain will direct drive the rear motorcycle wheel. Should scream or at least do the hills where I live reasonably. I know the cart motor will drain the battery pack faster. But for now if I get 10 or 11 miles round trip that will be great. For the pack I am going to start with 4 deep cycle batteries. I have them on desulphater/chargers as I type.

I am not sure how long my build will take but I will start posting pics regularly. I am sure there will be quirks at all phases of the build. I do my own arc, wire and oxy/act welding. So the physical mods should just be a matter of careful design prior to fabrication. If anyone has any input it will all be appreciated and considered.