Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Motorcycles / Scooters
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-21-2010, 04:28 PM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Charade - '88 Daihatsu Charade
Thumbs up 3 Wheel Electric project build

So I have decided on my first EV build to be a 3 wheeler. In California the inspections and certifications on a home build car are way to expensive for me. Plus I want just an around towner for now. So I am going with 2 wheels in the front for more stability and one in the rear. I already have an old Honda Odyssey I think that is how it is spelled. I am going to keep the front end remove what is left of the rear and differential. take of the roll bar, fuel tank, My plan is to add a second seat up and behind the driver. That way both passengers have a good view. Since it is a motorcycle it does not require a windshield. Open the back of the frame and mod in the rear including swing arm and shock set up on to the rear of the frame. I plan on powering it with a 48 volt motor either my golf cart motor or a 24/48 volt 15hp cart motor with a chain drive. My controller is a Curtis 1510-5201, with a homemade pot box.

The chain will direct drive the rear motorcycle wheel. Should scream or at least do the hills where I live reasonably. I know the cart motor will drain the battery pack faster. But for now if I get 10 or 11 miles round trip that will be great. For the pack I am going to start with 4 deep cycle batteries. I have them on desulphater/chargers as I type.

I am not sure how long my build will take but I will start posting pics regularly. I am sure there will be quirks at all phases of the build. I do my own arc, wire and oxy/act welding. So the physical mods should just be a matter of careful design prior to fabrication. If anyone has any input it will all be appreciated and considered.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 08-12-2010, 02:59 PM   #2 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Might want to look at this one ...

Endless-sphere.com • View topic - Tommy and Jesse Do America (trip thread)
Old 08-12-2010, 03:00 PM   #3 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

or this one ...
Phil Chipman's WIND

Reply  Post New Thread