Thread: Hi from Hungary
View Single Post
Old 07-25-2010, 10:00 AM   #3 (permalink)
alvaro84
Master EcoModder

Teresa - '04 BMW F650CS
Motorcycle
90 day: 80.53 mpg (US)

The YARDIS - '99 Toyota Yaris 1.0
90 day: 59.52 mpg (US)
Damnit, it logged me out and deleted my post... well, here are the logs:

(I give up, this time it's harder to fool the forum engine...)

And a picture about Ciliegia, she's dark red and black

h.ttp://i259.photobucket.com/albums/hh287/shiNIN666/motor/sas_csakvar.jpg

Still not enough posts... ok, 5 is not that much, but how can one properly introduce without pictures?

So they seem to differ in their characteristics and the techniques they need. Ciliegia does pretty well with just relaxed, steady riding at nice backroads and in town. We're still waiting for our first 90+mpgUS tank, but have several in the 80s now that she's not a learning bike anymore and we get familiar with her (especially my girlfriend, she's her bike).

Teresa is geared higher and reaches the most efficient range at low highway speeds (like 45-50mph) and holds on at moderate freeway speeds pretty well (still in the 70s at 110km/h = 68mph), but gets worse under ~45mph where she can't go in 5th gear anymore (4th may not be worse because of the less aero drag, I really don't know though). Anything slower I Pulse&Glide like crazy (if I can), and lately I do it in 5th too again. This way it's possible to exceed 90mpgUS, my best is 98.9 (2.38l/100km), I got it on my previous, 2*61km (2*38mi) commute. Todays 25km (15.5mi) route is under 90, perhaps it could be better in a more radical style than P&G in 5th (4th in villages) and FAS on a few, long downhills...