View Single Post
Old 07-25-2010, 09:34 PM   #16 (permalink)
Dr. Jerryrigger
EcoModding Apprentice

The Sh*t-Box - '99 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport
90 day: 27.81 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by caliber View Post
^woohoo! just about 32!! better than me! I just filled up after my best tank ever and drove 429.6 miles equaling 30.38 mpg tank! Finally hit that 30 mark =) I actually didn't think I was going to hit it because my first 1/3 of a tank had a lot more city driving than I usually do. I also traveled about an hour back and forth in uncomfortable heat leading to my use of a/c, especially when driving a friend around who is used to weather thats 15 degrees lower. I took off my mud flaps and my roof rack, pumped up my tires, and also got an oil change with fully synthetic oil, but I'm still not too sure how much of an impact all those made. I'll see what happens with my next tank-my roof rack was taken off at about 130 miles on the tank, same with tires pumped up. Also, I'll add that Im not doing any coasting in neutral, i'm still iffy about the possibility of harming my transmission.
For my next tank...the goal is still 31, and i'll observe how each of my "mods" affect my overall mpg. I'll check my air filter to see if it needs replacing, and I might even consider removing the back plate of my hood scoop to throw air into the engine area instead of just having it blocked...Do any of you think this would help mpg-wise or am I just better off keeping the back plate on?

Thanks for everyones help! and i'll keep posted on my next fillup (if not sooner )
For me the tire pressure made a really big difference, and is the only way I've ever gotten over 30. P & N may be helping me a bit, but I've found that it's taught me a lot. Like today when I was "gliding" down a back road at 40, I found that I lost speed much faster on rough parts of the pavement, and I could go much further by steering around them. I would have never noticed the difference in gear. I knew that this is true, but never realized how dramatic it really can be. I'm scared of killing my trany as well, but I think mine may be on it's way out anyway. Having a over temp trany light makes me feel a little better, but I have resin to believe the sensor is messed up...

If a 1/3 of the tank was city you will likely see 32+ on an all highway one!

The air filter really doesn't make a difference, I know they say other wise on the box.... I mean if you need to floor it to get going, get one, but other wise save the 7 bucks for your next engine (that will add up by the time you need one, you do have at lest another 120,000miles)
I think the scoop would be a good mod, and simple. It will help your aerodynamics a little as that air will have a place to go. And subaru engines have been shown to not benefit from high air intake temps, as some cars do. If my car had one; it think I would have to make it into a intake. I doubt that an air ram helps FE, but it would be nice if the scoop did something.