Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Introductions
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-09-2010, 12:15 PM   #11 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Dang, that's impressive!!
I drive a 2000 2.5RS (quite modified) and am lucky to pull off 18 around town, and 22Hw.
But, I'm sure my added supercharger isn't helping my mileage. But, even before I added performance mods, I would struggle to even just get 25hw. Looks like I need to take the lead out of my shoes.

Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 07-09-2010, 06:29 PM   #12 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

The Sh*t-Box - '99 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport
90 day: 27.81 mpg (US)
Skidd,
From what I found step on it! Accelerating at 2700-3000RPM is best, but be really gentle once you get up to speed, and slow down really really gently, with as little braking as possible. The slowing is the key, if your gassing it hard untill 20feet before a red light, then stomping on the brake you have some learning to do.
Old 07-12-2010, 11:09 PM   #13 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

SubObs - '00 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport
90 day: 29.4 mpg (US)
I updated my mileage...I got a whopping 1 MPG improvement =)...well technically 0.99 =P. I am very satisfied, yet I know I could have done better, especially on the last 1/3 tank. I drove around my girlfriend's girlfriends and didn't want to seem like slow driver. I don't know them that well, so I wouldn't want them to get a weird impression of me. I guess part of this hypermiling is psychological also =P. If I drove better, I'm sure I would have achieved that 30MPG goal. I'm going big for my next goal...I'm going to remove my mudflaps in hopes to decrease any sort of drag it may create; I'm also having tint installed which will hopefully cool my car down enough to not have a/c on as much; and lastly, I plan on detailing my car, and when I do, I'll remove my roof rack to hopefully decrease any more drag. 30MPG is inevitable, so my new goal is 31 XD
Old 07-19-2010, 10:59 PM   #14 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by caliber View Post
I updated my mileage...I got a whopping 1 MPG improvement =)...well technically 0.99 =P. I am very satisfied, yet I know I could have done better, especially on the last 1/3 tank. I drove around my girlfriend's girlfriends and didn't want to seem like slow driver. I don't know them that well, so I wouldn't want them to get a weird impression of me. I guess part of this hypermiling is psychological also =P. If I drove better, I'm sure I would have achieved that 30MPG goal. I'm going big for my next goal...I'm going to remove my mudflaps in hopes to decrease any sort of drag it may create; I'm also having tint installed which will hopefully cool my car down enough to not have a/c on as much; and lastly, I plan on detailing my car, and when I do, I'll remove my roof rack to hopefully decrease any more drag. 30MPG is inevitable, so my new goal is 31 XD
I just got a 31.99 tank (with my check engine light on)! but that was 98% highway, and my girlfriend's girlfriends already think I drive like an old lady , but that doesn't come up much as I generally have a back seat full of junk and tools.
I don't think the mud flaps are bad, but they could use improving. If they were shaped like the back of a tear drop they would likely help.
P and G is working well for me, but I don't know what you have for hills. It's best on roads you know well, but always: safety first!
Old 07-24-2010, 07:22 PM   #15 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

SubObs - '00 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport
90 day: 29.4 mpg (US)
^woohoo! just about 32!! better than me! I just filled up after my best tank ever and drove 429.6 miles equaling 30.38 mpg tank! Finally hit that 30 mark =) I actually didn't think I was going to hit it because my first 1/3 of a tank had a lot more city driving than I usually do. I also traveled about an hour back and forth in uncomfortable heat leading to my use of a/c, especially when driving a friend around who is used to weather thats 15 degrees lower. I took off my mud flaps and my roof rack, pumped up my tires, and also got an oil change with fully synthetic oil, but I'm still not too sure how much of an impact all those made. I'll see what happens with my next tank-my roof rack was taken off at about 130 miles on the tank, same with tires pumped up. Also, I'll add that Im not doing any coasting in neutral, i'm still iffy about the possibility of harming my transmission.
For my next tank...the goal is still 31, and i'll observe how each of my "mods" affect my overall mpg. I'll check my air filter to see if it needs replacing, and I might even consider removing the back plate of my hood scoop to throw air into the engine area instead of just having it blocked...Do any of you think this would help mpg-wise or am I just better off keeping the back plate on?

Thanks for everyones help! and i'll keep posted on my next fillup (if not sooner )
Old 07-25-2010, 09:34 PM   #16 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by caliber View Post
^woohoo! just about 32!! better than me! I just filled up after my best tank ever and drove 429.6 miles equaling 30.38 mpg tank! Finally hit that 30 mark =) I actually didn't think I was going to hit it because my first 1/3 of a tank had a lot more city driving than I usually do. I also traveled about an hour back and forth in uncomfortable heat leading to my use of a/c, especially when driving a friend around who is used to weather thats 15 degrees lower. I took off my mud flaps and my roof rack, pumped up my tires, and also got an oil change with fully synthetic oil, but I'm still not too sure how much of an impact all those made. I'll see what happens with my next tank-my roof rack was taken off at about 130 miles on the tank, same with tires pumped up. Also, I'll add that Im not doing any coasting in neutral, i'm still iffy about the possibility of harming my transmission.
For my next tank...the goal is still 31, and i'll observe how each of my "mods" affect my overall mpg. I'll check my air filter to see if it needs replacing, and I might even consider removing the back plate of my hood scoop to throw air into the engine area instead of just having it blocked...Do any of you think this would help mpg-wise or am I just better off keeping the back plate on?

Thanks for everyones help! and i'll keep posted on my next fillup (if not sooner )
For me the tire pressure made a really big difference, and is the only way I've ever gotten over 30. P & N may be helping me a bit, but I've found that it's taught me a lot. Like today when I was "gliding" down a back road at 40, I found that I lost speed much faster on rough parts of the pavement, and I could go much further by steering around them. I would have never noticed the difference in gear. I knew that this is true, but never realized how dramatic it really can be. I'm scared of killing my trany as well, but I think mine may be on it's way out anyway. Having a over temp trany light makes me feel a little better, but I have resin to believe the sensor is messed up...

If a 1/3 of the tank was city you will likely see 32+ on an all highway one!

The air filter really doesn't make a difference, I know they say other wise on the box.... I mean if you need to floor it to get going, get one, but other wise save the 7 bucks for your next engine (that will add up by the time you need one, you do have at lest another 120,000miles)
I think the scoop would be a good mod, and simple. It will help your aerodynamics a little as that air will have a place to go. And subaru engines have been shown to not benefit from high air intake temps, as some cars do. If my car had one; it think I would have to make it into a intake. I doubt that an air ram helps FE, but it would be nice if the scoop did something.
Old 12-03-2010, 11:59 AM   #17 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Cool reading the tips about your imprezas - I have a 99 outback sport, most I've got from it was 33.4 mpg on mountain/highway driving. No mods to speak of, just had the passenger mirror tucked in. I usually get 27-28 from driving conservatively, but I don't take a lot of short trips - I usually use a bicycle if I'm going less than 5 miles or so.

I've thought about removing the hubcaps to reduce rotational weight for driving around town but I'm not sure how much that would hurt aerodynamics at higher speeds, I'm curious if anyone can offer any opinion here.

I need to remove that roof rack though, and may take the mudguards off as well, remains to be seen!

Nick
Old 12-03-2010, 01:18 PM   #18 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by enicma View Post
I've thought about removing the hubcaps to reduce rotational weight for driving around town but I'm not sure how much that would hurt aerodynamics at higher speeds, I'm curious if anyone can offer any opinion here.

Nick
I don't think you'll have a noticeable difference with or with out the stock hubcaps. What has been shown to help a little is to cover the caps in tape or something to smooth them out for areo. I haven't done this yet, I cracked one of my caps and just took them all off.