View Single Post
Old 07-26-2010, 04:38 PM   #1 (permalink)
boostmaster
EcoModding Lurker

1997 Honda Civic HX & Scangauge values

I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask but it seemed like it... (mods: please move it if it is not proper)

So I have this 1997 HX and I recently put the scangague to work... I've used similar gauges in other cars but there is generally a baseline of values that you want to see as you scroll through.

I am not familiar enough with the gauge or the car to know what values I should expect to see... For example what is ideal on the ignition, or the IAC (at idle or moving), etc... (Is there a guide that maybe I haven't found?)

The car has 167k and has been an excellent and reliable car lately averaging around 38-40 mpg... I have not been too consistent in breaking 40mpg even driving at 65mph... I replaced the plugs and wires (one at a time to see if there was any change) - Just minor... I suppose I need to check eveything.

This morning, with 3/4 tank of fuel and after a sweltering weekend sitting in the heat 90's+... I went to start the car and it would not turn over. I tried and tried until eventually it started... I drove 100 miles to work and drove it around a few times today with no issues. The wife suggested possible vapor lock..(I'm not sure)... I added some denatured alcohol to the tank and was just fine.

Anyway, the reason for the inquiry is that I noticed that for the first 20 miles or so it would fluctuate from closed to open loop. Temp was about 187. When I got to work temp was 197 and was in closed loop. It was probably in the 70's this morning...

Just wondering if there's anything that I should be looking for as I'd like to keep this car on the road as long as possible and maybe break my 50mpg goal...