Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > General Efficiency Discussion
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-26-2010, 04:38 PM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

1997 Honda Civic HX & Scangauge values

I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask but it seemed like it... (mods: please move it if it is not proper)

So I have this 1997 HX and I recently put the scangague to work... I've used similar gauges in other cars but there is generally a baseline of values that you want to see as you scroll through.

I am not familiar enough with the gauge or the car to know what values I should expect to see... For example what is ideal on the ignition, or the IAC (at idle or moving), etc... (Is there a guide that maybe I haven't found?)

The car has 167k and has been an excellent and reliable car lately averaging around 38-40 mpg... I have not been too consistent in breaking 40mpg even driving at 65mph... I replaced the plugs and wires (one at a time to see if there was any change) - Just minor... I suppose I need to check eveything.

This morning, with 3/4 tank of fuel and after a sweltering weekend sitting in the heat 90's+... I went to start the car and it would not turn over. I tried and tried until eventually it started... I drove 100 miles to work and drove it around a few times today with no issues. The wife suggested possible vapor lock..(I'm not sure)... I added some denatured alcohol to the tank and was just fine.

Anyway, the reason for the inquiry is that I noticed that for the first 20 miles or so it would fluctuate from closed to open loop. Temp was about 187. When I got to work temp was 197 and was in closed loop. It was probably in the 70's this morning...

Just wondering if there's anything that I should be looking for as I'd like to keep this car on the road as long as possible and maybe break my 50mpg goal...

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 07-26-2010, 04:53 PM   #2 (permalink)
Hypermiler

PaleCivic (retired) - '96 Honda Civic DX Sedan
90 day: 69.2 mpg (US)

PaleFit - '09 Honda Fit Sport
Team Honda
Wagons
90 day: 44.06 mpg (US)
Unfortunately, it can't be fully accurate in the HX. The engine has a lean-burn mode which uses less fuel, but the Scangauge doesn't know about it. The OBD port doesn't report anything about it, so the SG can'd adjust for it. It has to use airflow to calculate fuel flow, but when the fuel-air mix changes, the math is wrong.

The MPGuino project here will read the fuel injectors directly, and report accurate numbers.

For the record, I have my DX set at +12% fuel offset (lower mpg).

11-mile commute: 100 mpg - - - Tank: 90.2 mpg / 1191 miles
Reply  Post New Thread