View Single Post
Old 07-28-2010, 06:58 PM   #3599 (permalink)
jyanof
Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPaulHolmes View Post
Hey! Fran suggested that the current sensor may not have been working. That would make a lot of sense, but I don't know why it wouldn't be working though...
There was that episode I had last summer. I had taken the controller apart to add those extra diodes and somehow screwed up the current sensor connector to the board. One of the pins wasn't connecting properly.

Thus, even a small throttle command would ask motor current. BUT, the control board would sense ZERO current (since the sensor is not connected) and would increase the power (PWM) endlessly until you took your foot off the pedal. Fortunately, I had only 'blipped' the throttle and noticed the motor current rising ridiculously fast for that blip. Like, near 1000A in less than a sec.

This is when we added the software check to make sure there is a current sensor signal. If not, it shuts down. If an earlier version of the software was running, it wouldn't have this feature...

It's pretty reasonable that a bad connection could vibrate loose. If the sensor is still connected, you could check for continuity with an ohm meter to make sure there is a connection.

If the fault happened at the lower voltages, the motor current wouldn't rise that quickly, or would only rise so high and could still be in a reasonable range. Perhaps 120V pushed it over the edge.

http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...ting-9325.html