View Single Post
Old 07-31-2010, 01:30 PM   #2 (permalink)
euromodder
Master EcoModder

The SCUD - '15 Fiat Scudo L2
Quote:
Originally Posted by raver0789 View Post
I would like a few tips on how to improve my gas mileage from my aveo. Where do I start?
I'd start by applying some of the Hypermiling tricks.

As it's a new car, you're probably not going to mod it right away, and there's a lot of fuel economy (FE) to be gained by changing your driving style and habits.

I went from 39.2 mpg in the first year to 42.8 mpg the past (5th) year - an 8.3% change for the better - simply by :
- driving slower (65 mph max.) on motorway / interstate / highway
- having low rolling resistance tyres (LRR) fitted and inflated above the car's indicated psi
- subtly changed driving habits.

Some of these techniques are pretty involved, bordering on the extreme, but some are very easy, like parking ready to drive away without manoeuvring.

Inflating your tyres above the psi indicated by the car manufacturer is also an easy, reversible mod.
Going up in 2 psi steps won't upset anything - and can easily be undone if you don't like the car's new behaviour - but stay below the tyre manufacturer's upper limit !

I've recently started to try other hypermiling techniques like coasting - and it seems to have an effect.
It's just a matter of trying some techniques, and see if it'll work for you in your driving environment.

Have fun