Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-31-2010, 11:37 AM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

New Chevy Aveo 2010

Hey guys. New to this website.
Bought a 2010 Chevrolet Aveo, it is manual, and does not have cruise control.
Pretty good gas mileage I would say, but I'm not used to great gas mileage. My summer car is a 2009 Cobalt SS Turbo (modded), and when in boost, that thing can really suck the gas.

I would like a few tips on how to improve my gas mileage from my aveo. Where do I start?

2010 Chevrolet Aveo
2009 Cobalt SS Turbo

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 07-31-2010, 01:30 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The SCUD - '15 Fiat Scudo L2
Quote:
Originally Posted by raver0789 View Post
I would like a few tips on how to improve my gas mileage from my aveo. Where do I start?
I'd start by applying some of the Hypermiling tricks.

As it's a new car, you're probably not going to mod it right away, and there's a lot of fuel economy (FE) to be gained by changing your driving style and habits.

I went from 39.2 mpg in the first year to 42.8 mpg the past (5th) year - an 8.3% change for the better - simply by :
- driving slower (65 mph max.) on motorway / interstate / highway
- having low rolling resistance tyres (LRR) fitted and inflated above the car's indicated psi
- subtly changed driving habits.

Some of these techniques are pretty involved, bordering on the extreme, but some are very easy, like parking ready to drive away without manoeuvring.

Inflating your tyres above the psi indicated by the car manufacturer is also an easy, reversible mod.
Going up in 2 psi steps won't upset anything - and can easily be undone if you don't like the car's new behaviour - but stay below the tyre manufacturer's upper limit !

I've recently started to try other hypermiling techniques like coasting - and it seems to have an effect.
It's just a matter of trying some techniques, and see if it'll work for you in your driving environment.

Have fun

Old 07-31-2010, 04:27 PM   #3 (permalink)
Dartmouth 2010

Vegan Powa! - '91 Honda CRX DX
Team Honda
90 day: 66.52 mpg (US)
Send a message via AIM to SVOboy Send a message via MSN to SVOboy Send a message via Yahoo to SVOboy
Welcome to EcoModder

Don't forget to start logging your fuel economy in the garage!
Old 07-31-2010, 11:50 PM   #4 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by raver0789 View Post
Hey guys. New to this website.
Bought a 2010 Chevrolet Aveo, it is manual, and does not have cruise control.
Pretty good gas mileage I would say, but I'm not used to great gas mileage. My summer car is a 2009 Cobalt SS Turbo (modded), and when in boost, that thing can really suck the gas.
I've got a 2009 Aveo with A/T and it really sucks gas at speeds below 45 MPH, due to the way GM programmed the transmission control module. Not much anyone can do except complain to GM about it.

Quote:
Lucky for you, yours is a manual. I'd say throw it out of gear and coast as much as possible when practicable. You have the capability of doing that and clutching it back into the appropriate gear at any speed at will, whereas with an automatic tranny, shifting into neutral and back into drive at higher speeds would be inviting transmission failure.

Reply  Post New Thread