View Single Post
Old 08-01-2010, 08:47 PM   #10 (permalink)
brucey
A madman

Pequod - '17 Subaru Outback
90 day: 22.79 mpg (US)
Send a message via AIM to brucey
I also say I'm in the "It's silly to go without it" side. 25 lbs of weight isn't even noticeable. Unless you're in a fuel competition (or racing) I see no reason to go without a full size spare. I once had a random, unplanned, trip into the great unknown and got a flat tire. Having to take it off, leave your car un-attended in no mans land, and roll it a couple miles (since no cars are around and there is no cell service) to a shop and having them plug it, then having to either pay 20$ for a taxi/hitchhike a ride WHILE carrying a tire OR rolling the tire back (I paid for a taxi) just isn't worth any fuel savings at all. Or monetary savings.

I'll never save that much extra fuel that was used by that ONE flat tire by taking the spare out.

If you want to save weight, just get rid of the asphault in the car. It's only purpose is to make the metal sound thicker while adding a lot of weight to the car. Most cars have this stuff in them, and it's usually in the area of 100~200 lbs you can strip out.