View Single Post
Old 08-01-2010, 11:59 PM   #29 (permalink)
JeepNmpg2
Jeep Ecomodder

Daddy's Jeep - '00 Jeep Cherokee SE
90 day: 19.66 mpg (US)

Mama's Kia - '06 Kia Sedona LX
Check out my wooden spoiler! It has a definate effect on my FE

Ok, I'll admit I got derailed this weekend, but it isn't over yet. I have still some time tonight to get that test in. But in the meantime, wanted to bring up something, mostly usefull for us "hatchies" but for everyone else out there that just wants to haul some stuff that's oddly shaped. I picked up a hitch carrier on Craigslist for $20 a few months back and it has been integral in my initial aeromod designing, as well as simple utility.

Today is a prime example: I wanted to pick up an 80lb computer desk/hutch, and while I drive a box, it's not a very large box.

That carrier gets itself right behind the bumper, and doesn't really affect the airstream, and as long as nothing protrudes beyond the profile of the vehicle, it's almost like nothing is there, except for the added weight. Notice in the photo below that tbe desk in all of it's ratchet-strapped glory sits about eight inches above my roofline. had to drive 40 miles to get the thing so--- here's the results:

going to Seattle FE: 25.1 (almost my best ever)
coming from Seattle FE: 23.5 (not too shaby)

While this is not conclusive, it is demonstrating one thing to me: my normal pulling a trailer FE ONLY on the freeway is between 16-20. This is much better, as it only affects one leg of the trip, and even then, for much less of a penalty.

Ok, I'm getting ready to head out in a minute, strap on the kamm, and get some testing done.