View Single Post
Old 08-02-2010, 11:00 PM   #50 (permalink)
Olympiadis
oldschool

White2003Focus - '03 Ford Focus SE 4-door sedan
Team Ford
90 day: 38.53 mpg (US)

White2001S10pickup - '01 Chevy S10 extended cab LR
Last 3: 24.51 mpg (US)

1989DodgeOMNI - '89 Dodge Omni
Last 3: 30.38 mpg (US)

1991ChevyC1500pickup - '91 Chevy C1500
Last 3: 24.03 mpg (US)

White1986Irocz - '86 Chevy Irocz LB9
Last 3: 30.14 mpg (US)

1999 C5 Corvette - '99 Chevy Corvette

2008 Infinity G37 - '08 Infinity G37
Quote:
Originally Posted by suspectnumber961 View Post
I notice that in warmer weather I can leave the CHT switch "on" and get a good start...in colder weather...it's more difficult to start.
I've not used actual rheostats for this function, but you should use a switch so you can use the actual coolant temp sensor for cranking/starting.
Once running with a little heat in the spark-plugs you should be able to switch back to your resistance setting with no problem.

As of yet I have not used a TPS tricker, though in theory the concept should have at least some functionality in some applications. Holding a steady TPS% reading while using cruise-control on the highway comes to mind. When the CC-unit applies more throttle there would be a lack of AE from the AE vs delta TPS table. You could get less "pump shot" that modulations of the throttle would've normally caused.
Some systems that also calculate the AE based on load sensed from a MAP or MAF sensor may not benefit from a TPS tricker.

Another scenario where a TPS tricker could be useful is on large/heavy vehicles that require a lot of throttle during normal driving. Limiting TPS range and modulation could prevent PE mode from being activated too often or by accident. Of course this would be in cases where you don't have access to adjust the PCM/ECM calibrations.

I may give the TPS tricker a try though. I'd like to see just how well it mates with cruise-control on the highway. I wouldn't expect very good results on this Focus though. It has a MAF and very quick adaptive fueling. It's something I'll have to try to know for sure.