View Single Post
Old 08-06-2010, 10:54 PM   #13 (permalink)
Thymeclock
Banned

You said:
Quote:
Today on my way home from work someone passed me on the right shoulder of the 2 lane highway for doing 60mph in the right hand lane of a 65. Honestly I'd be afraid to try to drive the way some of you describe. I'm afraid I'd be shot at sooner or later. This isn't the first time I've been passed on the shoulder on a multi-lane road for going slow in the right hand lane. I'm all for stretching my pennies to their limits, but sometimes I worry.
Then later you said:
Quote:
...I love speeding as much as the next guy. But I also like saving money and I really don't like the sort of load I have to put my car under to really go 80 or 90, it feels like I'm abusing it. And if you're going to abuse your car you might as well just enjoy a spirit jaunt from 0-60 or a really hard turn. (or some autocross). Plus there is something a bit zen about getting really good economy and just getting there when you get there. But yeah, on my main daily commute, to and from work I really can't go too far below the posted speed limits or P&G much. If I did people would just pass me and fill in in front of me making me just have to stop anyways, heh.
I wonder why you said "I love speeding as much as the next guy". It appears there is something contradictory here. Your motive seems to be more than that of just saving gas.

I suggest you keep up with the flow of traffic. It's safer that way, for everyone on the road including you. If it means driving 5 MPH over the limit, that's hardly considered 'speeding' by any practical definition. No one is demanding that you go "80 or 90" - are they?

If you want to be "zen", do your zen thing when you go home and want to relax.

You don't need to go 20 MPH over the limit. But if you impede the flow of traffic by deliberately driving 5-10 MPH slower than the speed limit or the traffic around you, it is potentially unsafe and unwise.