Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-05-2010, 09:40 AM   #11 (permalink)
aero guerrilla

Svietlana II - '13 Peugeot 308SW e-HDI 6sp
90 day: 58.1 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tumnasgt View Post
I've decided I'm going to start filming my drives, so I can look back on what I'm doing well/not so well, and then when I see really scary things, I can contact the cops (who are open to driving complaints from the public).
A few months ago this was in the papers here: Truck cameras capture appalling driving | Stuff.co.nz
There's a page of some of the videos captured here: Drivecam - videos - the-press | Stuff.co.nz
Since a few years back driver's license exams in Poland are filmed and there was an idea to use those recordings to catch "road pirates". Unfortunately, the law prohibits the use of such films unless the camera is certified by the police. As if that changes anything. This is weird, because in court that film is not evidence if it caught someone breaking the law, but it is evidence of the course of the exam.:scratchhead:

What matters is where you're going, not how fast.

"... we humans tend to screw up everything that's good enough as it is...or everything that we're attracted to, we love to go and defile it." - Chris Cornell

[Old] Piwoslaw's Peugeot 307sw modding thread
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 08-06-2010, 06:39 PM   #12 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Saturn SL1 - '93 Saturn SL1
Last 3: 38.37 mpg (US)

Suzuki - '86 Suzuki Intruder VS750
90 day: 44.63 mpg (US)

Elantra GT - '05 Hyundai Elantra GT
90 day: 29.13 mpg (US)

Silverado HD - '11 Chevrolet 3500 HD
90 day: 11.87 mpg (US)

2008 Trailvoy - '08 Chevrolet Trailblazer LS
90 day: 14.96 mpg (US)

Ambie - '06 Ford Taurus SEL
90 day: 23.85 mpg (US)

Xj750j - '82 Yamaha Maxim XJ750
90 day: 32.47 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilskillit View Post
Heh, I like the "slow vehicle" sign. Tho I wonder if it would actually help or just antagonize people more.
I had a similar sign made for my '87 Sentra XE with the 1.6 that I had years ago. "Please be patient, its cheap on gas"

When I put it on I noticed people giving me a bit more room and/or passing sooner. May do something again for my Saturn. Something along the lines of "Please be patient, it's a Saturn"

And I have noticed my mileage has a dropped a bit since I started working day/morning shifts as opposed to third for the past year. It's mainly just from trying not to get run over or impede traffic. Next tank I'm going to be trying a different route...not many different ways to get to work from my house...

Old 08-06-2010, 10:54 PM   #13 (permalink)
Banned

You said:
Quote:
Today on my way home from work someone passed me on the right shoulder of the 2 lane highway for doing 60mph in the right hand lane of a 65. Honestly I'd be afraid to try to drive the way some of you describe. I'm afraid I'd be shot at sooner or later. This isn't the first time I've been passed on the shoulder on a multi-lane road for going slow in the right hand lane. I'm all for stretching my pennies to their limits, but sometimes I worry.
Then later you said:
Quote:
...I love speeding as much as the next guy. But I also like saving money and I really don't like the sort of load I have to put my car under to really go 80 or 90, it feels like I'm abusing it. And if you're going to abuse your car you might as well just enjoy a spirit jaunt from 0-60 or a really hard turn. (or some autocross). Plus there is something a bit zen about getting really good economy and just getting there when you get there. But yeah, on my main daily commute, to and from work I really can't go too far below the posted speed limits or P&G much. If I did people would just pass me and fill in in front of me making me just have to stop anyways, heh.
I wonder why you said "I love speeding as much as the next guy". It appears there is something contradictory here. Your motive seems to be more than that of just saving gas.

I suggest you keep up with the flow of traffic. It's safer that way, for everyone on the road including you. If it means driving 5 MPH over the limit, that's hardly considered 'speeding' by any practical definition. No one is demanding that you go "80 or 90" - are they?

If you want to be "zen", do your zen thing when you go home and want to relax.

You don't need to go 20 MPH over the limit. But if you impede the flow of traffic by deliberately driving 5-10 MPH slower than the speed limit or the traffic around you, it is potentially unsafe and unwise.
Old 08-10-2010, 12:59 AM   #14 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

The Spec - '03 Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec-V
90 day: 30.74 mpg (US)
When I said "I love speeding as much as the next guy." What I mean is "I enjoy speed" Were it practical and legal I'd love to be able to just do 100mph all the way home. But it is neither. I've come to appreciate that and notice that now that I don't have that same "get in front of everybody, do 10mph over bare minimum" I enjoy my commute a lot more and save money in the process. Thats all.

Reply  Post New Thread