View Single Post
Old 08-10-2010, 12:17 PM   #893 (permalink)
MetroMPG
Batman Junior

Blackfly - '98 Geo Metro
Team Metro
Last 3: 70.09 mpg (US)

MPGiata - '90 Mazda Miata
90 day: 52.71 mpg (US)

Even Fancier Metro - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage top spec
90 day: 70.75 mpg (US)

Appliance car - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage ES (base)
90 day: 52.48 mpg (US)
Thanked 6,960 Times in 3,604 Posts
Got these questions via e-mail:

Quote:
I currently own a 94 Metro that I've been planning on turning into an EV, and have been doing research like a mad man to do it. I believe I understand the full process but nevertheless I am a bit 'worried' to start it. I've scouted out different kits, tried to price out pieces, and also took a few glances at forklift projects. I do have a machinist for a neighbor so the trans plate and motor coupler shouldn't be difficult as well as mounting it and the battery rack. I don't have a huge budget either. The car was free and hopefully I can sell the engine and other gas related parts, but right now I have a $2500 MAX budget. I'd like to be able to get highway speeds, and a range of 50 miles. From what I understand the range has more to do with batteries and amp/hours, so I'll cross that bridge when I get there.
Hate to throw cold water on your plans, but for $2500, building a highway capable car with a 50 mile range is a very tall order. Maybe an impossible order with lead acid batteries (you'll be way over the car's GVWR if you fill it with enough lead to go 50 miles at highway speeds).

Have you seen this? http://ecomodder.com/blog/cheap-diy-electric-car/

Quote:
Also my neighbor has a friend who has done a conversion in the past and is currently getting sponsored batteries, hopefully I can network with him and work something out.
If you can get a battery sponsor, obviously that would help with cost, but you'd still face the weight issue. Look at the types of vehicles in the EV album that have 50 mile range on lead - many are compact pickup trucks.

The alternative is to go with a lithium battery chemistry. (If you get a sponsor for that, would you put in a good word for me too? )

Quote:
What's a good size/volt/amp motor? If i find a forklift what size motor am I looking for?
Generally people talk about series DC motors for inexpensive conversions. You'd need something in the 7-10 inch diameter size (approx 12-15 inch length) based on the conversions I've seen.

Quote:
Then what type of controller can I find/want? I found your project metro in the evalbum web page and checked out your total cost and was amazed, most people were spending $5000+, which is too much for me.
Thanks - but realize what performance we got for that price.

The controller is usually the 2nd major cost after batteries. If you want a highway capable car, that implies a pack voltage that puts you in "expensive" controller territory, not the ~$100 used golf cart controller territory the ForkenSwift inhabits.

Although you can make your own high volt / high amp controller for a fraction of the price of a commercially made one. See Paul & Sabrina's controller project here: Open ReVolt: open source DC motor controller - Fuel Economy, Hypermiling, EcoModding News and Forum - EcoModder.com
Ecodriving test: Manual vs. automatic transmission MPG showdown

EcoModder
has launched a forum for the efficient new Mitsubishi Mirage
www.MetroMPG.com - fuel efficiency info for Geo Metro owners
www.ForkenSwift.com - electric car conversion on a beer budget