View Single Post
Old 08-10-2010, 08:07 PM   #63 (permalink)
ShadeTreeMech
Basjoos Wannabe

The Van - '97 Mercury Villager gs
90 day: 19.8 mpg (US)

Lyle the Kindly Viking - '99 Volvo V70
90 day: 25.82 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by C3H8 View Post
sweet! make sure you don't tell her that you are testing anything. but at the same time try to get a driving log to see if there is any significant deviation from her driving with and without the magnet. for instance if she ends up hauling something really heavy during a hot day with the a/c on while baselining without the magnet, then drives a week with the magnet on with no heavy loads and minimal a/c, the test would show that magnets do not change the fuel economy but they do control the climate to such an extent that installing a magnet on the fuel line will drop atmospheric temps enough that you don't need a/c.

now that's one powerful magnet!
Considering it's a car, and she rarely has deviated from her normal driving style, I suspect she'll be a good tester. She always keeps the AC on, and since she has the digital climate control, which she leaves on 73, that shouldn't cause much of an issue. We're also going into the end of summer, so for the next couple months I expect fairly steady predictable temperatures.

I'm also in a catch 22. I was wanting to try a lower weight oil in the Max to see what it would do, but it's just time to change it as well. So I fear skewing the results by changing the oil (which is needed. badly.) I think there is close to 10k miles on this change, and the only thing that keeps me from worrying is the fact I put sythetic into it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesqf View Post
I think you missed the point I was trying to make, which is that it's not rational to do either speed or fuel economy mods for economic reasons. You do it as a form of recreation, for the fun and for the challenge.