View Single Post
Old 08-14-2010, 05:35 PM   #64 (permalink)
bwilson4web
Engineering first

17 i3-REx - '14 BMW i3-REx
Last 3: 45.67 mpg (US)

Blue Bob's - '19 Tesla Std Rng Plus
Hi,

You bring up a number of valid points about the difference between European vs. USA vehicles and driving experience. However, I would caution that to call hybrids 'marketing' runs a risk of blinding oneself to the technology. One sad example:
Hybrid Electric Vehicles Not As Green As They Are Painted, Analysts Contend

Quote:
. . .
Jean-Jacques Chanaron Research Director within the French National Centre for Scientific Research (CNRS) and Chief Scientific Advisor at the Grenoble School of Management and Julius Teske at Grenoble, question strongly whether the current acceptance of hybrid vehicle technology particularly in the USA is in any way environmentally sustainable.
. . .
They add that the misinformed craze for hybrid vehicles especially in the USA, and increasingly in Japan and Europe, and potentially in China, could represent a red light for more innovative technologies, such as viable fuel-cell cars that can use sustainably sourced fuels, such as hydrogen.
. . .
They add that, "Such a convergence is based more on customer perception triggered by very clever marketing and communication campaigns than on pure rationale scientific arguments and may result in the need for any manufacturer operating in the USA to have a hybrid electric vehicle in its model range in order to survive."
But one fact-check:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arragonis View Post
. . . - Ford and GM don't make any, . . .
They may not sell their hybrids in Europe but they do in the USA:
  • Ford - Escape SUV and Fusion hybrid, both are serious hybrids and competitive with the Toyota equivalent models. I've test driven a Ford Escape and it is a good, solid, hybrid.
  • GM - has been trying to sell auto-stop, belt assisted hybrids up until May when they finally stopped. GM called them 'mild hybrids' but the rest of us called them frauds. GM also has a 'two-mode' monster that makes no sense at all. The USA market has treated them with the care and disrespect they deserve.

One thing is the Honda Insight has not faired very well in the USA yet the users are reporting similar to Prius mileage. Given the relative body size and engine centered hybrid approach, I would expect the Honda Insight to do well in Europe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arragonis View Post
. . .
There is an EEC standard, there is a site for looking them up here

Car MPG - What is a Cars Fuel Efficiency

It is similar but not identical to the EPA one - same intention and thoroughness (from being in a lab point of view) and just an unrelated to reality as the EPA numbers.
The USA web site allows individuals to report their actual mileage.

BTW, there are things about Prius that I would like to see fixed. Although many things are right, they could do a bit more and gain a measurable, 20% improvement in mileage, 50 MPG -> 60 MPG. My short list:
  • articulating air inlet - if cooling air is not needed, close up the front air inlets
  • block-heater and traction battery topper option - let those of us who want them get a block and transaxle heater and 'charge topper' for the traction battery. Give us the option of plug-in lite.
  • heat conservation - the engine and transaxle should be thermally insulated to preserve heat and moderate temperature with coolant and/or articulating air vents. We should not have to pay the full warm-up tax but treat heat as precious to be retained.
  • adaptive cruise control and ECO mode standard - so when in ECO mode, the cruise control should allow a 2-5 mph slop when climbing hills. Alternatively, adaptive cruise control (and accident avoidance) so we can use other vehicles as 'pacing' cars and follow safely.
These are 'low hanging fruit' and could move the Prius further ahead of the honorable competition . . . earlier Prius (see my signature vehicles.)

Bob Wilson

Last edited by bwilson4web; 08-14-2010 at 05:53 PM..