View Single Post
Old 08-15-2010, 06:14 PM   #72 (permalink)
Arragonis
The PRC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xringer View Post
Toyota and Honda are marketing against themselves as well as the rest of the market in trying to make their Hybrids compete against the Diesels they already sell

Maybe in other markets.. But, here in the USA??
I Agree. I am talking about outside the USA - thats my point.

In the US people tend to buy bigger cars, petrol ones, mainly with AT. Not ecomodders obviously, but the main market. Compared to those Hybrids make sense - they are auto, get good MPG and are actually sold for less in the US that in other markets. I would buy one if I was in the US - it makes sense.

(Note to Toyota, please explain price differences between the US and UK for the same car. Do not use the usual flannel about different spec in the UK as we have already dealt with that argument. Also do not use the LHD vs RHD argument - we drive on the same side as you do in Japan )

Anyhoo, when you have a market (Europe) which by nature tends to buy smaller and more economical petrol cars and a lot of Diesels (>50% in some markets), Hybrids have no advantage to the owner. Not even auto these days.

And when Honda and Toyota also sell those smaller petrol and diesel cars as well as Hybrids they are kind of competing against themselves.

Its kind of them saying "Hello Europe. THIS IS THE FUTURE!"

But if you don't like the 20% extra cash we are asking for that future or indeed the extra weight and less space and harsh ride, how about this future instead.

And we'll sell you a Diesel one because thats really what you want isn't it, otherwise you will go and buy a VW or a Peugeot or a Renault or a Nissan ?

Actually Nissan are a good example. Sell loads of Diesels. Not a Hybrid to be seen in their range. They aren't stupid. Instead they have bypassed all of that nonsense, taken their version of the Renault Clio (the Leaf) and will go full electric. Bet there will be a petrol / diesel Leaf too in Europe soon as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xringer View Post
I don't know anyone who buys anything but gasoline cars & trucks..
Well, they must sell a few otherwise VW wouldn't be advertising them and the TDI Club website wouldn't be running a long thread about how other people react when they stop to fill up their passenger cars at Diesel pumps.

Stories when filling up at "gasoline station" - TDIClub Forums

The like to laugh a lot about that, those TDIClub guys... Its the joke that keeps on giving.