View Single Post
Old 08-16-2010, 07:43 AM   #78 (permalink)
bwilson4web
Engineering first

17 i3-REx - '14 BMW i3-REx
Last 3: 45.67 mpg (US)

Blue Bob's - '19 Tesla Std Rng Plus
Important insight here:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xringer View Post
. . .
I wanted to get the Escape Hybrid, but it didn't make sense for me..
I only drive a couple thousand miles a year.
So, I was sensible and got the gas version.
. . .
Fuel efficiency makes most sense for those who drive the most.

When CNW Marketing published the discredited "Dust-to-Dust" report, we soon learned the only fraud that made a difference was in the expected miles per year. There was a consistent pattern of showing any hybrid as having fewer miles per year than the non-hybrid version. This led to an interesting contradiction:
Given a two car family with a gas and hybrid version of the same model, say the Camry, a hybrid skeptic would claim they would drive the car that consumes more fuel each year and keep the hybrid on the driveway 'for show.'
This hubris, the claim that hybrids are 'for show,' is common with hybrid skeptics. Some hybrid skeptics will acknowledge that hybrid taxis and high-mileage usages make sense but they can't imagine individual owners who drive more than average mileage making a similar economic analysis.

If you want to have fun with the 'economic analysis' of a skeptic, propose driving an extra 5,000 miles per year to their model. Often, the 'payback' period becomes a lot shorter. Better still, double the miles per year, a true 'road warrior,' and use their same numbers. <GRINS>

Bob Wilson