View Single Post
Old 08-18-2010, 10:34 AM   #17 (permalink)
Weather Spotter
Wiki Mod

Max - '14 Ford C-Max SEL
How I came up with my better wet and snow traction numbers:
Disclaimer: this was not a very scientific test.

Last winter on some wet and snowy days I went out and from speed tried stopping, I did it both with OEM psi and at 44 PSI. The higher PSI allowed me to press harder on the breaks without skidding, thus allowing me to stop sooner. I also tested start up traction by using my scangauge to see what rpm I started to spin.The OEM psi had me spinning sooner by about 10% than when the tires were at 44psi.

I will give you that this test is not that great, but with it and my driving I noticed a difference. It may not be the same on all cars.

About the suspension people, I did not ask them. The ride quality is based on the shocks and the tires ability to dampen bumps. I will grant that when cornering I am slightly changing the angel of the suspension. On my car I think this is a good thing (my OEM ties wore badly from cornering). Once again I think each car is different, which is why there is so much debate on the effects.

traction is a function of surface area and down force. Higher tire pressure results in a smaller contact patch but more weight per unit of area. Once again it is a balance.