View Single Post
Old 08-18-2010, 07:40 PM   #21 (permalink)
saand
Wiki Writer

bugler - '91 Mazda 626
90 day: 35.89 mpg (US)
Weather I saw your wheel skirts info coming up while I was doing the template was good to see all the pictures going in at a fast pace. I was thinking I might set up the wheel skirt page based on the template and add your page as a instruction link. As it has great detail which shouldn't be lost but can clutter up the page and mean others wont post their instructions. There will likely be several different ways to do many of the mods so linking detailed pages I think is a good way to go.
Might end up having one table in the template with
user name, car type, cost of mod, time of mod, mpg before, mpg after, instruction page

This would mean people can see all the details at a glance and go into a given users detailed methods.

MetroMPG, I was hoping setting up the mod list wiki would take some pressure off the site admins you have all done a great job on the website but constantly updating and dealing with everyone’s particular queries has got to take a lot of someone’s time.
I like the idea of a dedicated thread for each wiki, when I get a chance on the weekend ill see if I can set up a few.
I think we all have the same concern about the wiki being modified with non reliable information. I wonder if SVOboy knows if permissions can be set up so a smaller group of "experienced users" can modify certain pages. If there is this functionality it could be implemented on select pages which have been completed. so they don’t get trashed but still allows the general group to enter new data into uncompleted pages. Not sure if this is a good idea or if its needed just floating the concept at this stage. I guess on the main page this would be very useful so that people can look down the proven list with confidence nobody has put a crazy mod into the list and “experienced users” can promote unproven mods into the proven list.

SVOboy I have to thank you for putting the wiki into the site, looks like an excellent tool

tumnasgt I like your idea of putting a little more data into the main list which will give more value when quickly glancing down the list to find your next ideal mod. Payback time may be a little difficult as it requires people to put down accurate cost and proper test data but will see how it goes. Feel free to change the main mod list page I wont be offended if my original page gets changed beyond recognition.
There is an example of tables in the template page which should get you well on your way to making this change.