Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Forum News & Feedback
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-18-2010, 07:40 PM   #21 (permalink)
Wiki Writer

bugler - '91 Mazda 626
90 day: 35.89 mpg (US)
Weather I saw your wheel skirts info coming up while I was doing the template was good to see all the pictures going in at a fast pace. I was thinking I might set up the wheel skirt page based on the template and add your page as a instruction link. As it has great detail which shouldn't be lost but can clutter up the page and mean others wont post their instructions. There will likely be several different ways to do many of the mods so linking detailed pages I think is a good way to go.
Might end up having one table in the template with
user name, car type, cost of mod, time of mod, mpg before, mpg after, instruction page

This would mean people can see all the details at a glance and go into a given users detailed methods.

MetroMPG, I was hoping setting up the mod list wiki would take some pressure off the site admins you have all done a great job on the website but constantly updating and dealing with everyone’s particular queries has got to take a lot of someone’s time.
I like the idea of a dedicated thread for each wiki, when I get a chance on the weekend ill see if I can set up a few.
I think we all have the same concern about the wiki being modified with non reliable information. I wonder if SVOboy knows if permissions can be set up so a smaller group of "experienced users" can modify certain pages. If there is this functionality it could be implemented on select pages which have been completed. so they don’t get trashed but still allows the general group to enter new data into uncompleted pages. Not sure if this is a good idea or if its needed just floating the concept at this stage. I guess on the main page this would be very useful so that people can look down the proven list with confidence nobody has put a crazy mod into the list and “experienced users” can promote unproven mods into the proven list.

SVOboy I have to thank you for putting the wiki into the site, looks like an excellent tool

tumnasgt I like your idea of putting a little more data into the main list which will give more value when quickly glancing down the list to find your next ideal mod. Payback time may be a little difficult as it requires people to put down accurate cost and proper test data but will see how it goes. Feel free to change the main mod list page I wont be offended if my original page gets changed beyond recognition.
There is an example of tables in the template page which should get you well on your way to making this change.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 08-18-2010, 08:45 PM   #22 (permalink)
Batman Junior

Blackfly - '98 Geo Metro
Team Metro
Last 3: 70.09 mpg (US)

MPGiata - '90 Mazda Miata
90 day: 52.71 mpg (US)

Even Fancier Metro - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage top spec
90 day: 70.75 mpg (US)

Appliance car - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage ES (base)
90 day: 60.16 mpg (US)
Thanked 6,957 Times in 3,602 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by saand View Post
MetroMPG, I was hoping setting up the mod list wiki would take some pressure off the site admins
I'm all for that!

Quote:
I like the idea of a dedicated thread for each wiki, when I get a chance on the weekend ill see if I can set up a few.
I wonder if a dedicated subforum containing only threads that discuss individual mod tips might make sense. EG. forum home > ecomodding central > mod list discussion > individual threads about each mod ... problem with that is some of the mods would fall into the popular aero forum, some in the EV forum...

Or we could just leave them in the appropriate existing forum with a prefix in each title, like "[Mod list discussion] wheel skirts (rear)"
Ecodriving test: Manual vs. automatic transmission MPG showdown

EcoModder
has launched a forum for the efficient new Mitsubishi Mirage
www.MetroMPG.com - fuel efficiency info for Geo Metro owners
www.ForkenSwift.com - electric car conversion on a beer budget
Old 08-20-2010, 11:52 AM   #23 (permalink)
Wiki Writer

bugler - '91 Mazda 626
Hi All,
I have neglected my girlfriend a bit tonight and done some work on the wiki hopefully it’s worth it .

I have added tables to the main list page with some useful summary info as tumasgt suggested which I think will be very useful. Also added a column indicating if more info is needed so at this stage we can all see what we need to populate at this early point. Changed to internal links (thanks tumnasgt for doing this on another page)
The individual mod template is updated so a user can put in all their relevant info about a mod in a single simple table. We can put in cost, duration of mod, efficiency benefit (proven or unproven improvement) and link to instructional page or detailed testing results

Weather spotter I update the rear wheel skirts page, put the template in with some info from the normal ecomodder efficiency modification list and I moved your great page on how you did the mod and your results and put a link in the rear wheel skirt page to yours in a table with a summary of your results. I figure if more people put in data about their mod we will be able to easily go down the table in a particular mod page see what efficiency improvements people have gotten, what it costed them and look at how several people have achieved a particular mod. I entered in the mpg before and after based on your results on your page but I may have read the table wrong so feel free to update this summary with any changes or more info.

I have also set up another thread for discussions on change suggestions for the main mod list page so hopefully we get a bit of discussion about new ideas or additions to the list in this thread
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...ons-14289.html

So I encourage everyone to start populating some pages with any info they know about. I will put the blank template in each link hopefully make it easier for people to add their data.
I guess if we don’t see much activity updating data from others ill be tempted to go through some of the threads and put info gained from threads onto the wiki as a starting point. I figure once there is a bit of data in the wiki people will go there more often and then update it more themselves.

Thanks to weather spotter and tumasgt for already making wiki updates its only been a few days and we already have some good info on the wiki.

Of course any more suggestions on how to arrange the wiki are most welcome
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to saand For This Useful Post:
MetroMPG (08-25-2010), tumnasgt (08-20-2010), Weather Spotter (08-20-2010)
Old 08-20-2010, 01:18 PM   #24 (permalink)
Wiki Mod

Max - '14 Ford C-Max SEL
Thanks for all your work!, I will get to work on it some more in a few days (I am on dial up right now---SLOW). At this point it takes 5 min to load this page.
Old 08-22-2010, 02:34 PM   #25 (permalink)
Wiki Mod

Max - '14 Ford C-Max SEL
Question, how do I make a new sub page on the wiki?

I want to make a how to for the side mirror delete page but it wants a link, so how do I make the page to link to? The rear wheel one I had made the page from the empty one for that mod and Saand moved it into the right place.
Old 08-22-2010, 03:30 PM   #26 (permalink)
Wiki Mod

Max - '14 Ford C-Max SEL
I got it, make a link (use the name you want) and it makes the page.
Old 08-25-2010, 02:59 PM   #27 (permalink)
Batman Junior

Blackfly - '98 Geo Metro
Team Metro

Had a look at the wiki progress - thanks, people!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weather Spotter View Post
To help fix this I was recommending a Moderator who will watch over the Wiki, if that person wants to step down (lack of interest) I would expect them to contact a site admin and have a replacement chosen.
That sounded like someone volunteering...

If you or anyone in this thread wants to officially keep an eye on that part of the wiki, that would be great.

EcoModder
Old 08-25-2010, 03:05 PM   #28 (permalink)
Wiki Mod

Max - '14 Ford C-Max SEL
I would be happy to help! I just need my wiki star
Old 08-25-2010, 03:38 PM   #29 (permalink)
Batman Junior

Blackfly - '98 Geo Metro
Team Metro

Drat that Ben. I'll bug him again.

EcoModder
Old 08-25-2010, 07:23 PM   #30 (permalink)
Wiki Writer

bugler - '91 Mazda 626
Hi MetroMPG, Ill be happy to moderate as well,
Im looking forward to the point where the wiki pages are good enough to be linked to by the main 65 efficiency mods.

Reply  Post New Thread