Thread: Eaarth
View Single Post
Old 08-20-2010, 01:16 PM   #36 (permalink)
Weather Spotter
Wiki Mod

Max - '14 Ford C-Max SEL
Quote:
Originally Posted by tumnasgt View Post
If I were religious, I would take the view that God does not want us to screw up what we were given. How is making the planet uninhabitable for future generations any better than killing another human?

I'm not saying that GCC is real, but I do think that looking after what we have is important. Most processes that emit CO2 also emit particles which harm other humans and wildlife. Reducing energy consumption has many upsides, and very few downsides.

In the way of quality of life, is driving a 5000lb SUV really improving your life? What about lighting a room nobody is in, or turning on the heater when you could put on a sweater?
This sort of thing, turning off lights, geting better gas mileage I am all for. It is things like a carbon tax (or cap and traid which is the same thing) that I think is going too far. I am all for reducing emissions, but only as long is it costly less than 10% more that what we are doing now. With this econnmy, I think the money is better spent in other ways, not driving up costs.

Reducing energy use is allways good. but there are other issues that I feel have greater priorty (like fixing the border).