View Single Post
Old 08-22-2010, 09:41 PM   #52 (permalink)
pgmomni
Camry MPG Modder

Camry CE - '00 Toyota Camry CE
90 day: 36.18 mpg (US)
Argghhh... Almost had a new record run.

Sooo close.

2 weeks ago on my 650 mile round trip for work,
on the way down, 03911 to New Rochelle, NY for work on Tuesday. New Rochelle to River Edge NJ after work. River Edge to lower Manhattan, NYC on Weds AM for work.
I had a record 39.3 MPG tank going with a avg speed of 65 mph.

All I needed was a good ride home from NYC to 03911(York, Maine) to make a new record.
TRAFFIC, head winds, MORE TRAFFIC. Ended up with 36.5 for the tank on 648 miles.

3 things to note.
1. fresh oil change 5/30w, 3 qts Castrol High Mileage and 1 Qts Valvoline SynBlend.
2. switched from Shell or BJ's to Citgo gas the last 2 runs.
3. Installed the passive aluminum oil cooler I had on my old '97 Camry.
Basically its a finned cover that goes over oil filter to better dissipate heat from oil filter. Years ago on Toyota Nation one of the engineering members laughed at me/it. Said it was like using a water pistol on a forest fire. It gets too hot to touch. Cooling the engine oil down slightly is counter productive to thermal efficiency. Could its close proximity to the exhaust manifold and the front Cat actually be causing it to heat up the oil!? My '97 Camry ran hotter then hell. If it started raining after I had been driving awhile steam would come off of the hood. This "oil cooler" was always on the Camry.

Car seems to like the Citgo gas?

Tomorrow I gotta post pics of new spoiler, I did the ends a bit better this time.

I want to put the upper grille block back on too. Its just that idling when stuck in traffic temp goes up to 210 which causes both radiator fans to come on high until temp drops back down to 195. This cycle repeats until traffic gets back over like 10 mph. Not too hot but repeated trips to 210 can't be good for the oil?

It appears the upper grille and lower grille create airflow when car is stationary. Heat pours out upper grille and in effect pulls ambient temp air in lower grille.

With the upper grille blocked the cycle I noted above very noticeably happens more frequently.

New spoiler pics tomorrow.

Pete