View Single Post
Old 08-22-2010, 10:25 PM   #54 (permalink)
pgmomni
Camry MPG Modder

Camry CE - '00 Toyota Camry CE
90 day: 36.18 mpg (US)
Yeah, but too many trips to 210+ cook the oil too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weather Spotter View Post
A few trips to 210+ might not be bad for the oil, it will cook off the water which is a very good thing!
Hi,
water condensation in my oil has never been a prob for me as I do soooo much long range hwy driving. Very little stop and go except when I get stuck either on I95 in CT or on the West Side Hwy in Manhattan.

I think the last time I saw that yellowish brown glop under my oil cap was in HS back in 1979!

What has me wondering is could I actually be heating my oil with this "oil cooler" oil filter cover?
Need to test this. I did IAT sensor relocating mod to see if I could fool ECU to lean out A/F ratio. Basically made a connector and wire harness and relocated the IAT sensor to under the dash by the heat/cool duct. Tested running with heat on high, IAT at like 200! and IAT at like 60 from blowing AC right on it, IAT disconnected, temp shows negative, IAT jumper-ed, temp shows like 240. None of that seem to have any effect on A/F ratio, some effect on ignition timing retard/advance.

But, I could relocated to right on oil filter, tape it to side of it without oil cooling cover and with oil cooling cover and see if it makes any difference either way. Not a very good test, measuring oil temp would be better.
I have to see If I can tap a hole somewhere to add a oil temp sensor.

The thing is, my previous Camry always got 35-36+ mpg and it always had the oil cooler on it. No aero mods, same cheap after market air intake.
This Camry which I have had since Dec 09, I have had to struggle to get it to get to the point where its gets 35-36 consistently.
I think it had a "cold" driving experience in the past and has/had a fair amount of carbon buildup in the cylinders as seen thru the spark plug holes. Better after the water induction IV I did one trip. Noticeably less carbon on piston viewed thru spark plug hole.

Maybe I just need to blow out some more carbon to get this engine back to peak power/efficiency?

Ahhh, i think its time for another Beck's while I ponder these questions!

Pete