View Single Post
Old 04-11-2008, 12:36 PM   #17 (permalink)
Funny
Master EcoModder

Eco-Fit - '13 Honda Fit Base
90 day: 37.06 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffman View Post
The thing of it is, oil temp is very dependent on the engine load, so at low load when you can use more heat you have less and at high load when more heat is in the oil, engine pinging may be a problem. Its true that engine coolant behaves the same way but it has a thermostat that partitions the engine coolant from its reservoir (radiator) holding it at a much more consistent temp. I would think it would get hotter faster as well with coolant.

One thing that I don’t like about the oil idea is you go allot farther on a coolant leak than you will on an oil leak. The potential for catastrophic failure from a busted oil line is a lot higher when you are low on oil than low on coolant.
You make a lot of good points .
I think I'm just a little leary of playing with the coolant system, but I think I can adapt this idea to work with coolant.
I just wanted to use a higher temperature fluid (oil) because I can't find a high-temp thermostat for a 2002 Corolla anywhere. There is also the issue of making a system with a thermostat for the HAI so that the heater core/oil cooler doesn't overheat, stays at a stable temperature, and doesn't affect the drivability of the car. Maybe now I can make a system that uses the Prius Radiator Theremos . I may be overthinking this just a bit. Please pull me back down to earth.