View Single Post
Old 08-26-2010, 03:26 PM   #5 (permalink)
Christ
Moderate your Moderation.

Pasta - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDi
90 day: 45.22 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyl4rk View Post
If at all possible use a bike with full suspension, front and rear.

If you want a chance at hitting 50mph, get the shifter kit and expansion chamber from:

Sick Bike Parts LLC - Performance parts for your motorized bicycle

Those motors are fun but they are frustrating and need constant maintenance. I had one like that and now have a Dax Titan 50cc four cycle on a cruiser bike. I would like to move my Titan to a stretch limo bike with some upgrades to the drivetrain and a full coroplast fairing.

I find 30mph to be somewhat frightening and usually keep it down to about 20mph. However I am driving in town, not on open roads. Be aware that bicycles tend to shed nuts bolts and parts quite readily when ridden at high speeds with a vibrating motor.
I appreciate your input and concern here.

I used to rebuild bikes when I was a kid, and many of the bikes I worked on were used for hooliganism and stunting, so I'm no stranger to loctite products.

Also, I don't intend to mount the motor using the solid strap mounts alone. I'm going to cut up some old inner-tubes and wrap them around the mount points, to help dampen vibrations a little. From what I've been told, these engines tend to have a "sweet spot" as far as RPM for constant operation. Once I find it, I intend to gear it so that that particular area is where I spend most of the time at.

BTW - 20 MPH on a pedal bike is a good cruising speed when you're not worried about how fast you get there... I'm used to much higher speeds.

And for the biker nuts: Yes, I'll be wearing gear. Full face helmet, Textile jacket with CE back and side armor, elbow protection, and the same jeans and composite boots I always wear.

It might only be a pedal bike, but 50MPH is 50 MPH.