Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Motorcycles / Scooters
Register Now
 Register Now
 

Reply  Post New Thread
 
Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-26-2010, 11:32 AM   #1 (permalink)
Moderate your Moderation.
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Troy, Pa.
Posts: 8,919

Pasta - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDi
90 day: 45.22 mpg (US)
Thanks: 1,369
Thanked 430 Times in 353 Posts
Lookie what I just boughted!



So I just bought one of those... I know they're cheap, but hell, if it gets me a few good miles, I'll be happy. It'll be something to tinker with, anyway.

I plan on slapping it on a random bike I pick up, but modding will, of course, be a part of it. Aerodynamics and packaging are the names of the game right now, as well as per-tank range and top speed (most people are claiming up to 35mph. I expect about 50).

And to my own personal satisfaction - This thing is completely illegal to use on public roads in PA! (Vendetta against PA's retarded laws structure...)

I haven't been on here in awhile, so I thought that while I'm doing this, it'll give me an excuse to pop in from time to time, if only to post new pics or whatever.

To start with, the tank that comes in the kit isn't going to be used on the bike. I'm either going to go with an in-frame setup, or just use the tank from my CM185T project (which is now missing a motor, waiting on either e-conversion or the CB125S motor I have.).

I'm likely going to package this as small as possible and make it a forward configuration for now, sort of crotch-rocket-esque. Eventually I hope to use it in a registerable version of a recumbent bike. (Or another similar kit, since this one may be worn out by the time I actually get that built).

Are mods for these Chinese smokers all pretty much universal? I mean things like powerchamber exhausts, etc.

__________________
"ʞɐǝɹɟ ɐ ǝɹ,noʎ uǝɥʍ 'ʇı ʇ,usı 'ʎlǝuol s,ʇı"

  Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

   
Old 08-26-2010, 12:22 PM   #2 (permalink)
Batman Junior
 
MetroMPG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: 1000 Islands, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 21,770

Blackfly - '98 Geo Metro
Team Metro
Last 3: 70.09 mpg (US)

MPGiata - '90 Mazda Miata
90 day: 53.56 mpg (US)

Winter beater Metro - '00 Chevrolet Metro
90 day: 61.98 mpg (US)

Fancy Metro - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage top spec
90 day: 58.72 mpg (US)

Even Fancier Metro - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage top spec
90 day: 66.29 mpg (US)
Thanks: 3,481
Thanked 6,282 Times in 3,251 Posts
I had a 49cc 2 stroke motor kit on my bicycle when I lived in the Cayman Islands about a dozen years ago. Bike was my only (vehicular) mode of transportation, but the weather was so hot, I was always drenched when I got to work for an afternoon shift.

So I got a kit mailed in from the U.S. and used the motor to get to work dry, then pedal home (and then go swimming in the ocean to cool off).

Oh, and also it was useful to outrun the pack of wild dogs that roamed around before my early morning shift. They liked to chase and kill things.

Hated the noise of it though - it was embarassingly loud! For my early morning shift, I wouldn't start the engine (AM = dog pack avoidance) until after I rode down the road a bit from my apartment.
__________________
Latest mods: 3-cylinder Mitsubishi Mirage. EcoMods now in progress...
Ecodriving test:
Manual vs. automatic transmission MPG showdown



EcoModder
has launched a forum for the efficient new Mitsubishi Mirage
www.MetroMPG.com - fuel efficiency info for Geo Metro owners
www.ForkenSwift.com - electric car conversion on a beer budget
  Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:
Christ (08-26-2010)
Old 08-26-2010, 02:18 PM   #3 (permalink)
Moderate your Moderation.
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Troy, Pa.
Posts: 8,919

Pasta - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDi
90 day: 45.22 mpg (US)
Thanks: 1,369
Thanked 430 Times in 353 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
I had a 49cc 2 stroke motor kit on my bicycle when I lived in the Cayman Islands about a dozen years ago. Bike was my only (vehicular) mode of transportation, but the weather was so hot, I was always drenched when I got to work for an afternoon shift.

So I got a kit mailed in from the U.S. and used the motor to get to work dry, then pedal home (and then go swimming in the ocean to cool off).

Oh, and also it was useful to outrun the pack of wild dogs that roamed around before my early morning shift. They liked to chase and kill things.

Hated the noise of it though - it was embarassingly loud! For my early morning shift, I wouldn't start the engine (AM = dog pack avoidance) until after I rode down the road a bit from my apartment.
Seems like the mufflers/baffles that are shipping with them are actually pretty quiet these days. I'm not horribly concerned with noise, because I'll mostly be in the country areas of PA (remember, this thing is technically illegal).

I don't think my goals are too unrealistic for a 66cc (there's no such thing as an 80... it's the difference in US/Chinese measurement standards) motor:

Pedal start (check)
50MPH
At least 90MPG, prefer 100+


The first thing is already taken care of, because any smart user knows that the motors aren't designed to pull you from a dead stop (even though they will...). I'll be pedaling at road speeds, and will modify the throttle so that it DOESN'T idle at all. IOW - If I clutch it, she shuts down. I don't want this thing running all the time, which kinda makes goal #3 easier. Most "Average" users are seeing 100 or so MPG. Maybe my goal should be 150??

Goal #2 is the tough one. It's gonna require some gearing changes. And when I say "50MPH", I don't mean "50MPH on a flat with a tail wind... 3 miles later".

I want to reliably be able to maintain 50 MPH through fair terrain and accelerate to that point without too much effort. In fact, I'd like a <15 second pull up to speed. We'll see how that works out.

The main reason for the speed limit goal is that I'll be on rural roads, where there isn't ever much of a shoulder. Rather than have to keep stopping or slowing down to allow cagers to pass, I feel like I could sacrifice a little bit and at least make a valid attempt to keep the speed up close to standards. Of course, this may require some mild performance mods which will obviously deplete the max MPG figure, so some vigilance will be a requirement in determining proper balance, as well.
__________________
"ʞɐǝɹɟ ɐ ǝɹ,noʎ uǝɥʍ 'ʇı ʇ,usı 'ʎlǝuol s,ʇı"

  Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 04:19 PM   #4 (permalink)
Coasting Down the Peak
 
skyl4rk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: M I C H I G A N
Posts: 514

Toyauto Pickup - '94 Toyota Pickup 2WD
90 day: 36.32 mpg (US)

Versa Base - '09 Versa Sedan 1.6 Base
Team Nissan
90 day: 41.69 mpg (US)
Thanks: 27
Thanked 41 Times in 34 Posts
If at all possible use a bike with full suspension, front and rear.

If you want a chance at hitting 50mph, get the shifter kit and expansion chamber from:

Sick Bike Parts LLC - Performance parts for your motorized bicycle

Those motors are fun but they are frustrating and need constant maintenance. I had one like that and now have a Dax Titan 50cc four cycle on a cruiser bike. I would like to move my Titan to a stretch limo bike with some upgrades to the drivetrain and a full coroplast fairing.

I find 30mph to be somewhat frightening and usually keep it down to about 20mph. However I am driving in town, not on open roads. Be aware that bicycles tend to shed nuts bolts and parts quite readily when ridden at high speeds with a vibrating motor.

You should be able to do much better than 100mpg. I think the time I measured a tank I got 120mpg (with the Titan four stroke).

Using the Sick shifter kit is important because then your bike can freewheel coast. I don't have that kit and my drivetrain causes a lot of drag, its like having the brakes on if the throttle is not on. With a good freewheel, some pedal assist and EOC I bet I could get 200mpg.
__________________
Nissan Versa Aeromods
  Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to skyl4rk For This Useful Post:
Christ (08-26-2010)
Old 08-26-2010, 04:26 PM   #5 (permalink)
Moderate your Moderation.
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Troy, Pa.
Posts: 8,919

Pasta - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDi
90 day: 45.22 mpg (US)
Thanks: 1,369
Thanked 430 Times in 353 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyl4rk View Post
If at all possible use a bike with full suspension, front and rear.

If you want a chance at hitting 50mph, get the shifter kit and expansion chamber from:

Sick Bike Parts LLC - Performance parts for your motorized bicycle

Those motors are fun but they are frustrating and need constant maintenance. I had one like that and now have a Dax Titan 50cc four cycle on a cruiser bike. I would like to move my Titan to a stretch limo bike with some upgrades to the drivetrain and a full coroplast fairing.

I find 30mph to be somewhat frightening and usually keep it down to about 20mph. However I am driving in town, not on open roads. Be aware that bicycles tend to shed nuts bolts and parts quite readily when ridden at high speeds with a vibrating motor.
I appreciate your input and concern here.

I used to rebuild bikes when I was a kid, and many of the bikes I worked on were used for hooliganism and stunting, so I'm no stranger to loctite products.

Also, I don't intend to mount the motor using the solid strap mounts alone. I'm going to cut up some old inner-tubes and wrap them around the mount points, to help dampen vibrations a little. From what I've been told, these engines tend to have a "sweet spot" as far as RPM for constant operation. Once I find it, I intend to gear it so that that particular area is where I spend most of the time at.

BTW - 20 MPH on a pedal bike is a good cruising speed when you're not worried about how fast you get there... I'm used to much higher speeds.

And for the biker nuts: Yes, I'll be wearing gear. Full face helmet, Textile jacket with CE back and side armor, elbow protection, and the same jeans and composite boots I always wear.

It might only be a pedal bike, but 50MPH is 50 MPH.
__________________
"ʞɐǝɹɟ ɐ ǝɹ,noʎ uǝɥʍ 'ʇı ʇ,usı 'ʎlǝuol s,ʇı"

  Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 05:06 PM   #6 (permalink)
Left Lane Ecodriver
 
RobertSmalls's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Buffalo, NY, USA
Posts: 2,258

Prius C - '12 Toyota Prius C
Thanks: 79
Thanked 284 Times in 197 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christ View Post
And for the biker nuts: Yes, I'll be wearing gear. Full face helmet, Textile jacket with CE back and side armor, elbow protection, and the same jeans and composite boots I always wear.
I have a hard time pedaling when wearing two layers of pants and a winter jacket. Thermal regulation is challenging, and involves doffing the jacket after a mile or two, and donning it if the wind picks up or I hit too many red lights.

What you're describing sounds like a very uncomfortable hybrid of motorcycle and bicycle, instead of the usual 30mph pedal-assisted moped.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 08:21 PM   #7 (permalink)
Master EcoModder
 
euromodder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Belgium
Posts: 4,667

GasDwarf - '13 Volkswagen up! EcoFuel CNG
Thanks: 176
Thanked 643 Times in 510 Posts
It always saddens me to see people mounting engines on bikes.

(If it's a two stroke, you deserve to be hung from the highest tree in PA ! )
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 10:39 PM   #8 (permalink)
Master EcoModder
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Elmira, NY
Posts: 1,716
Thanks: 302
Thanked 321 Times in 268 Posts
I'd opt for a full suspension, alloy steel mountain bike with disc brakes and Maxxis Hookworm tires. Forget the department store brands. I can help fix you up with a fairing.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 09:57 AM   #9 (permalink)
Moderate your Moderation.
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Troy, Pa.
Posts: 8,919

Pasta - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDi
90 day: 45.22 mpg (US)
Thanks: 1,369
Thanked 430 Times in 353 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by euromodder View Post
It always saddens me to see people mounting engines on bikes.

(If it's a two stroke, you deserve to be hung from the highest tree in PA ! )
While I'm sure you have a plethora of reasons for having said that, I'm also quite sure you've just made yourself appear ignorant on a public forum for the same.

If you have valid input, I welcome you to the thread. Otherwise, GTFO, buddy.
__________________
"ʞɐǝɹɟ ɐ ǝɹ,noʎ uǝɥʍ 'ʇı ʇ,usı 'ʎlǝuol s,ʇı"

  Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Christ For This Useful Post:
88hf (10-04-2010)
Old 08-27-2010, 09:59 AM   #10 (permalink)
Moderate your Moderation.
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Troy, Pa.
Posts: 8,919

Pasta - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDi
90 day: 45.22 mpg (US)
Thanks: 1,369
Thanked 430 Times in 353 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant-53 View Post
I'd opt for a full suspension, alloy steel mountain bike with disc brakes and Maxxis Hookworm tires. Forget the department store brands. I can help fix you up with a fairing.
I think I put it in the original post... I'm gonna opt for whatever I can fix/rebuild/come across next to free.

While I've certainly been out looking for a job that pays something close to worthwhile, I've not actually found one yet, so funding comes from whatever I can scrape together for a project that hasn't already been promised to another one.

It's a bad way to start a project, but I've been managing.

Thanks for the offer, though. I might take you up on it.

__________________
"ʞɐǝɹɟ ɐ ǝɹ,noʎ uǝɥʍ 'ʇı ʇ,usı 'ʎlǝuol s,ʇı"

  Reply With Quote
Reply  Post New Thread


Thread Tools




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.5.2
All content copyright EcoModder.com