View Single Post
Old 08-30-2010, 11:10 PM   #99 (permalink)
3-Wheeler
Master EcoModder

AlienMobile - '00 Honda Insight
Team Honda
90 day: 80.05 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by COcyclist View Post
.... I didn't change the turn signal bulbs because I didn't want to mess with adding resistors to keep the car from mistaking them for a burnt out bulb or blinking too fast. Do you plan to reuse the stock Insight taillight housings?....
I'm still trying to make up my mind just what the back of the tail extension should look like....

Just my opinion, but I absolutely love what the Aptera designers did with the latest version of the tail lights, and the overall shape of the rear of the bodywork. That slenderness comes from the dimensions of a motorcycle size license plate however, since the Aptera is classified as a Type II motorcycle and can use a smaller plate.

The Insight extension bodywork will not be able to pull off such a slender design because of the larger plate size, even though the width of the car may be similar to the Aptera.

I also find something very appealing to the rear-end shape of the 2006 Honda Civic EX four seater. I like the multi-convex/concave shapes across the trunk-lid/tail lights, and the sharp edges along the sides of the rear quarter panels.

The stock Insight tail lights have too much of a soft radius for my liking, and lacks the sharp edge of a proper Kammback shape.

Regarding the use of resistors and such to tune the LED lights, I would say that's the path I'm headed down, since I would like them for all rear functions, but I can understand how one would want a simpler installation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by COcyclist View Post
...I have LED "marker lights" in my grill as Daytime Running Lights.....
Was there anything special to hooking these up? Any trimming resistors, or are you running them at the full 12 volts?

Jim.