Thread: Motivation?
View Single Post
Old 08-31-2010, 06:48 AM   #15 (permalink)
dcb
needs more cowbell

pimp mobile - '81 suzuki gs 250 t
90 day: 96.29 mpg (US)

schnitzel - '01 Volkswagen Golf TDI
90 day: 53.56 mpg (US)
The pressure picture sounds too familiar. I'm glad to have outgrown the "need" to be at the front of the line too.

I did want to add that an unexpected side effect, IMHO, is that I am many times a more safer driver than before, and I think it is true in general for efficiency misers. It isn't a big selling point (don't leave the house if you like safe), but lemme explain:

Whenever there is a chance that the way will be obstructed, i.e. left turn car hanging out in your lane, kids playing too close to the street, anything within coasting distance, as soon as it is detected I automatically and instantly get off the gas and thus start decelerating. It is far far better efficiency wise to cut a burn short than to finish the burn then stomp on the brake. It requires paying a lot of attention to the road/sides ahead and a quick shutdown reflex.

Not only do I get off the accelerator instantly, but I also brake early and quickly if braking looks imminent, this reduces my approach speed to the obstruction, but allows me to retain the most momentum if my delayed arrival is timed correctly with the obstruction.

High pressure me would have hesitated, lamenting the loss of 1/2 second commute time, or worse, gunned it. Thus I was in more close calls, and "accidents" as the speeds involved in these situations were higher.

I do find myself occasionally in a position where it is more efficient to gun it to a yellow light than stomp on the brake, but knowing the routes intimately eliminates most of that, as do all the stoplight cameras popping up.
dkunitz (10-10-2010)